Drill Press Past 90 Dgrees

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Drill Press Past 90 Dgrees

Post by dusty »

I bought into the idea that maybe, just maybe having the bench tubes inserted too far could cause the problem. The problem being that in vertical the tubes go 7° past vertical. I'm still sceptical so I mocked up my spare parts just to see what I might see.
Tubes over inserted
Tubes over inserted
20201125_125523.jpg (304.91 KiB) Viewed 902 times
Base no longer sets flat (level)
Base no longer sets flat (level)
20201125_125640.jpg (265.48 KiB) Viewed 902 times
Tubes are not vertical
Tubes are not vertical
20201125_125659.jpg (281.36 KiB) Viewed 902 times
But tubes are not past vertical
But tubes are not past vertical
20201125_125712.jpg (275.37 KiB) Viewed 902 times
Tubes are no where near 7° off vertical
Tubes are no where near 7° off vertical
20201125_125736.jpg (268.61 KiB) Viewed 902 times
OKAY. Assumptions and Speculations.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

edma194 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:10 pm I'm wonder if the base casting and the base arm casting are matched. The service parts list identifies them as the 'Base for older units' and the 'Base Arm for older units', so there are at least two different versions.
There are at least three versions at the assembly level, plus Double Tilt. 1) Compatible with large diameter bench tubes. 2) Revised for compatibility with the smaller diameter bench tubes, has a 3/4 inch diameter hinge pin. 3)Has the smaller diameter 1/2" hinge pin and setscrews for the way tubes are moved to the top. Most 520's that are originally built as 520's seem to have the third version, though I don't know when it was introduced into production. I think I mentioned the hinge pin fit in an earlier post, but to restate it needs to fit well into both the Base and Base Arm castings. A 1/2" hinge pin combined with either casting being made for 3/4" would cause a significant deviation from vertical, but there would be other symptoms.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Off hand I can only think of three versions and i doubt SS sells the earlier one made for 1 7/8" bench tubes.

That leaves the older with the 3/4" hinge pin(albeit with left/right retaining pin holes) and the newer dual tilt version.

I am unsure if there is another with different hinge pin size.

FWIW I mocked this up with a spare base and a short piece of tube. I could only get about 5° from correct and the entry hole was the limiting detail. The early greenies had larger holes so maybe he has one of them????? But he said 520.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Dusty go the other direction(shallow insertion so the tube misses the second bearing rib.

I got about 5° off the other direction(drill press mode would be over rotated).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I have done a similar set up involving under inserted way tubes. The results substantiate your observation. I get 4.6° past vertical. However, as I envision what this would produce, the headrest would be out of position at the other end AND the exposed bench tubes would measure something over 48".

I believe I am through with this unless the OP comes back with more info and hopefully some pictures.

I am still skeptical.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

As an after thought, while I had the parts on my desk, I measured the depth of tube insertion into the castings. The two of them insert a total of 4 5/8" into the casting.

Fifty two inches minus the 4 5/8" insertion loss leaves 48 1/8" of exposed tubes.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:06 pm Dusty go the other direction(shallow insertion so the tube misses the second bearing rib.

I got about 5° off the other direction(drill press mode would be over rotated).
I mocked that up using the newer version Base (1/2" hinge pin, setscrews on top) and got 6.7 degrees over-rotation, pretty dang close to what the OP reports. BUT the Base Lock screw lines up perfectly in this configuration despite the over-rotation. Oops! That seems contradictory to what the OP said about his in an earlier post. Suggesting??? I think it is suggesting that the problem is not related to how the Base is mounted to the Bench Tubes. Which is the opposite of what I thought an hour ago.

Back to basics - The upper and lower casting hinge around a pin. There is a hard stop in the rotation when the upper casting meets the stationary lower casting. For the described symptoms, one or both of the casting surfaces that form the stop must be in the wrong place in space, and/or the center of rotation must be wrong. Or???

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Initially I thought the base lock screw 'above' made sense. No longer does that make any sense. The base/bench tube misalignment would NOT affect the lock screw/dimple alignment.

I think you nailed it!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Until the OP posts pictures we will never know. If in fact the lock screw is above the dimple it has to be a problem with the end casting. Hard to believe SS would let something that far off out of the factory.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am wondering what the OP meant by 'above'? Above when in horizontal position?

P.S. I think we know!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝