Shaper/Sander Fence Bolts

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

miken
Gold Member

Shaper/Sander Fence Bolts

Post by miken »

Hi, anyone recognize if the below pictured bolt looks OEM for a Mark VII shaper fence? I just received my shaper fence today and the bolts that mount it to the table don't fit in the holes I already have drilled in the table. I wasn't expecting that. I'm wondering if I should buy new bolts that do fit (if these are not the correct ones) or drill the holes a bit bigger in the table to accommodate. It is a 3/8" diameter bolt (0.370), with a 5/16" socket head and a flat plate nut. I have 11/32" (0.344) holes in the table.

I think they are OEM, they look the same as the ones in JPG's Mark VII shaper Fence Breakdown post here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12792&p=145821&hil ... er#p145821
Thanks, Mike -
Attachments
Bolt1.jpg
Bolt1.jpg (8.34 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Shaper/Sander Fence Bolts

Post by JPG »

Not sure(do not have a clue) where those bolts in in the pix are today. Obviously I did not consider them critical.

However 3/8" bolts fit through the holes in my MVII table.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

JPG wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:48 pm Not sure(do not have a clue) where those bolts in in the pix are today. Obviously I did not consider them critical.

However 3/8" bolts fit through the holes in my MVII table.
Well, I do have a 3/8" drill bit. Should be an easy fix.

I should probably start a new post, but I know you have a Mark 5 and a Mark VII, so . . .
I am looking to buy a belt sander, do I need to have the offset tubes for it to fit on my Mark VII? I see some on eBay with straight mounting tubes, and some with offset mounting tubes?

Thanks, Mike -
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would just get some 5/16" bolts. We ARE talking about a MVII table?

Offset tubes are a thingie that SS Inc. decided was a good thing to do. IMO unnecessary, but they do make aligning easier. Problem is the eccentric. The MVII eccentric has a greater range. So I think offset is indicated unless you already have the straight ones.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

JPG wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:14 pm I would just get some 5/16" bolts. We ARE talking about a MVII table?
Yes, it is an MVII table we are talking about

Offset tubes are a thingie that SS Inc. decided was a good thing to do. IMO unnecessary, but they do make aligning easier. Problem is the eccentric. The MVII eccentric has a greater range. So I think offset is indicated unless you already have the straight ones.
I presently don't have straight or offset tubes yet. I haven't bought a belt sander. I just notice some have the offset mounting tubes and I didn't know why. I thought maybe a mark VII had the tubes spaced different than the mark V. I didn't consider it was because of the eccentric misalignment. I get it now. I better hold out for one with offset tubes.
Thanks JPG.
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Mike,

It looks like you have two choices on how to resolve the mounting bolt issue. Either drill larger holes or buy new smaller bolts. As far as I know the Shaper Fence is the only use for those holes in the table but JPG could confirm that.

Back in November I started a thread about SPT mounting posts. In it is probably everything and more that you ever wanted to know about the subject. The link is below.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24292

In buying a used Belt Sander the most important considerations, at least for me, would be condition and price. If it comes with straight mounting tubes they can be replaced with eccentric tubes if you decide that is what you want. A new pair is $37.18 plus shipping from SS. Used ones could be cheaper and the Belt Sander, Bandsaw and Scroll Saw all use the same ones. If it is complete with a good working Idler Drum assembly other minor things are easy to repair or replace. There hasn't been much that has changed over the years on the Belt Sander. Most notable is the dust collection changing from 1-1/4" to 2-1/2" and is a simple upgrade. I did that to my 1977 Belt Sander. Getting one with good bearings for the Drive Drum is a plus and not hard to find. The most common thing I have seen missing from used Belt Sanders for sale is the Aux. Shaft Cap and that is $4.95 to replace. Looking just now I see 5 for sale of which only 1 has straight mounting posts and is currently the highest price.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

chapmanruss wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:21 pm Mike,

Back in November I started a thread about SPT mounting posts. In it is probably everything and more that you ever wanted to know about the subject. The link is below.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24292

In buying a used Belt Sander the most important considerations, at least for me, would be condition and price. If it comes with straight mounting tubes they can be replaced with eccentric tubes if you decide that is what you want. A new pair is $37.18 plus shipping from SS. Used ones could be cheaper and the Belt Sander, Bandsaw and Scroll Saw all use the same ones. If it is complete with a good working Idler Drum assembly other minor things are easy to repair or replace. There hasn't been much that has changed over the years on the Belt Sander. Most notable is the dust collection changing from 1-1/4" to 2-1/2" and is a simple upgrade. I did that to my 1977 Belt Sander. Getting one with good bearings for the Drive Drum is a plus and not hard to find. The most common thing I have seen missing from used Belt Sanders for sale is the Aux. Shaft Cap and that is $4.95 to replace. Looking just now I see 5 for sale of which only 1 has straight mounting posts and is currently the highest price.
Thank you very much for the info. They are priced pretty high compared to a stand alone brand new option. I think I only want one because I don't have any SPTs. :D
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Mike,

WARNING: Collecting Shopsmith tools can be habit forming. It sounds like you may becoming addicted. :eek:
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

chapmanruss wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:33 pm Mike,

WARNING: Collecting Shopsmith tools can be habit forming. It sounds like you may becoming addicted. :eek:
I am afraid you may be correct. :)
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

chapmanruss wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:33 pm Mike,

I did it again, . . . :rolleyes: I have a 6" belt sander on the way. :p My first SPT.
I have no idea how to use it, mount it, align it, etc. but I do already have a coupler and a hub drive. It is coming with straight tubes so I may need to get the eccentric set you mentioned previously from Shopsmith if I cant get it aligned to my MarkVII.

Mike -
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper