Shop Smith not spinning

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

greysquirrel
Bronze Member

Re: Shop Smith not spinning

Post by greysquirrel »

Success, thank you gentlemen for all the advice. I pulled it apart and gave it a good cleaning and then followed the manuals recommendations on lubing it up, got it all back together without any leftover pieces or screws and then plugged her in and ran it through the speeds and back down, purring like a kitten. Can't wait to start turning out some projects on it now
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

greysquirrel wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:35 pm Success, thank you gentlemen for all the advice. I pulled it apart and gave it a good cleaning and then followed the manuals recommendations on lubing it up, got it all back together without any leftover pieces or screws and then plugged her in and ran it through the speeds and back down, purring like a kitten. Can't wait to start turning out some projects on it now
Right after you complete the table, rip fence and miter gauge alignments.

Congratulations on job well done.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Congratulations. And now you have successfully fixed a Shopsmith and you can feel confident that you can handle any issues that may crop up in the future.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

greysquirrel,

Glad to hear you were able to get things working correctly again. After doing the alignments as Dusty suggested you can begin to enjoy using your Shopsmith for many years to come just follow up on lubrication and maintenance. Remember if you have any additional questions or concerns we are here to help.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.