Dust Collector DC3300 Motor Capacitor

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

MrVLS
Bronze Member

Dust Collector DC3300 Motor Capacitor

Post by MrVLS »

My DC3300 motor will not run. The motor tries to start but just hums. I took the motor out and removed the capacitor but the label on the capacitor is no longer legible. Does anyone know the rating of the capacitor for the DC3300 Motor.

I can read Mepco Phillips. Part of a number 362 and that is about it. The diameter is 1"-7/16 and the length is 2" 3/4.

I have ordered a 72-88 MFD uf 110-125V Start Capacitor but I am not sure if this is the correct one. The issue is the size as it fits inside the motor housing, the higher the rating the larger the CAP.

If this does not fix my motor does anyone know of a good replacement motor that will fit in the DC3300 housing?
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Dust Collector DC3300 Motor Capacitor

Post by dusty »

Here is what I found. Good Luck

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/item ... tem=515690

I'd suggest taking the motor to a motor shop unless you believe this is within your own skill set.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
MrVLS
Bronze Member

Post by MrVLS »

Replacing the Capacitor is within my wheelhouse. I already have the motor out, the end cover removed and the capacitor out. I will try the Cap I have coming and I hope it works. If not, I will try to find a local shop to repair the motor.

The issue with the motor is that it is face mounted and has an internal Cap and fits in a small space within the dust collector.

Most motors I have seen with the same specs have mounting bases and external Caps. I could cut off a base as long as there are mounting holes on the face of the motor but the external Caps take up too much space.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

If you have to replace the motor, because it is so specific to it's use, you may need to buy it from Shopsmith which costs $321.64. The new Shopsmith DC330L Dust Collector is $379.00 for a complete new Dust Collector which may be a better option. Talk about this new Dust Collector a few months ago here was giving it pretty good reviews. The DC3300 has a 1/2 HP motor and 330 CFM. the new DC330L has a 1 HP motor but I do not recall what CFM they found out it draws. You might want to check out that discussion.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Lnk
Bronze Member

Post by Lnk »

MrVLS wrote:My DC3300 motor will not run. The motor tries to start but just hums. I took the motor out and removed the capacitor but the label on the capacitor is no longer legible. Does anyone know the rating of the capacitor for the DC3300 Motor.

I can read Mepco Phillips. Part of a number 362 and that is about it. The diameter is 1"-7/16 and the length is 2" 3/4.

I have ordered a 72-88 MFD uf 110-125V Start Capacitor but I am not sure if this is the correct one. The issue is the size as it fits inside the motor housing, the higher the rating the larger the CAP.

If this does not fix my motor does anyone know of a good replacement motor that will fit in the DC3300 housing?
I would say that is a large enough capacitor if the cap is the problem. Would have to look it up, but that cap you ordered should be good for up 2hp at 120vac. Hope that is your problem
MrVLS
Bronze Member

Post by MrVLS »

The Capacitor corrected my motor issue. Motor runs great. I did have to do a bush fix unrelated to the CAP. The plastic disc that the contact rides against broke an edge off. I used a plastic lid off a jar to make a disc and super glued my disc to the broken disk. Worked perfectly.
VaOak
Bronze Member

Post by VaOak »

It has been a LONG time since you posted your query re: the motor capacitor in you DC3300.
However, I suggest you go to Shopsmith's site (or call them) - since they are having a Summer Clearance Sale right now and they have the motor for the DC3300 on sale for half price! The link I received for the sale states the sale lasts for 3 days from today (23 June 2021).
At half price - given you already had an issue with your DC3300 motor, it will probably be worth your money to buy a "standby" motor - to use for when (not "if") the motor acts up again. LoL! :)
Best of luck to you.
RichardGibbs
Bronze Member

Post by RichardGibbs »

I had my motor repaired today and having noticed this topic and all the different answers to the value of the capacitor, I checked the factory Capacitor's values. The factory capacitor was a 324-380 Micro Farad 110VAC. I'm sure that have been different capacitors over the years that this unit was built, but this was a fairly new unit that I purchased recently.