The Ultimate Sawsmith Radial Arm Saw Thread

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

delong94
Gold Member

Re: The Ultimate Sawsmith Radial Arm Saw Thread

Post by delong94 »

edma194 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:36 pm This machine is mine now. The story is that it was never used and the indications are pretty good that is correct. No cuts in the table, no sawdust anywhere. Mild corrosion on the cabinet and post. Plenty of grease on where it mounts to the post. The motor turned right on and the speed control works. The keys were in the lock. Everything else seems functional, has the original blade mounted on the left. Does not have the right side arbor nut but does have the rubber cap. Finding a nut for the right side doesn't seem like it will be a problem. The tabletop needs replacing, probably use some MDF I already have for that. Have to do some other things over the weekend but will take some pictures before long to post.
Congrats! I need to post some photos too.
gavinthegregarious
Bronze Member

Post by gavinthegregarious »

Just figured out that the arbor threads are not 5/8-11 UNC. The threads are ACME threads and I am working on finding out the thread specifications. Once we have that, it should end the shortage of finding arbor nuts once and for all.

The reason we all keep thinking its 11 UNC is because the thread matching tool fits REALLY closely but is actually off in thread height, width, and crest shape. Myself and an expert friend both fell for it as well.

I will update with final specs and a source. We will need to update all references to 5/8-11 UNC in the thread to prevent future confusion.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

gavinthegregarious wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:05 pm Just figured out that the arbor threads are not 5/8-11 UNC. The threads are ACME threads and I am working on finding out the thread specifications. Once we have that, it should end the shortage of finding arbor nuts once and for all.
I noticed this as well. I didn't even get a left side arbor nut or washer though, it has a Shopsmith type 5/8" arbor that fits over the threaded spindle and locks on with a set screw. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
mlwass
Bronze Member

Post by mlwass »

I have used the arbor with set screw several times mainly for drill press use and it has worked fine.
gavinthegregarious
Bronze Member

Post by gavinthegregarious »

edma194 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:36 pm
gavinthegregarious wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:05 pm Just figured out that the arbor threads are not 5/8-11 UNC. The threads are ACME threads and I am working on finding out the thread specifications. Once we have that, it should end the shortage of finding arbor nuts once and for all.
I noticed this as well. I didn't even get a left side arbor nut or washer though, it has a Shopsmith type 5/8" arbor that fits over the threaded spindle and locks on with a set screw. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.
I purchased the SHOP Smith router bit attachments and it's great. I did have an issue but the causes were 1) I needed to level my machine with a new top so the router bit was hitting a degree or two off and 2) I had a cheap bit that wouldn't fit very far into the adapter/collet. I ended up sanding it down until I could fit it all the way in there. These two issues caused play and the bit (2" surfboard bit used a surface planer) caused an edge to get caught and come to an abrupt halt. That much distance from the shaft gave enough leverage to twist the bit's shaft against the set screw and mare it. Had to bang it out with a hammer then resurface the bit shaft and the inside of the router adapter/collet. All my fault for using a cheap bit. Sanded down the router bit shank until it was the right diameter (just took off .003"), then got the bit snugged up in there like it should. Works great, no issues.

TL:DR; set screws are fine, tighten them down tight and make sure the bit is up in there nice and snug.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

edma194 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:36 pm
On their vintage cast-iron radial arm saws, there are a couple of places where DeWalt used set screws to lock onto threaded shafts. To prevent damage to the shaft thread, they would place small cylindrical brass slugs between the set screws and the shaft threads. If you lose the little brass slugs, a short snip from a suitable gauge of solid-copper wire makes a serviceable replacement.
delong94
Gold Member

Post by delong94 »

Got my SawSmith cleaned up and running. Late in posting a pic. Had to replace the capacitor, repainted the stand, replaced hardware for the stand, put down a new temporary MDF table on top of the original table. Lubricated the sheave and cleaned up the rails. Before and after pics attached. Thanks to those who helped me get parts and lent some good advice.
Attachments
Saw2.jpg
Saw2.jpg (69.7 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
Saw1.jpg
Saw1.jpg (44.23 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Very nice!!! Looks great!
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

mlwass wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:01 pm I have used the arbor with set screw several times mainly for drill press use and it has worked fine.
I'll put up some pictures of the spindle and arbor to show what I meant. First looking at the arbor on the blade it seemed kind of small compared to typical Shopsmith arbors, but off the blade not so bad I guess. I can see its heavy enough for a regular spindle.

The part that worried me was the threaded spindle and the set screw locking it on. I suppose it works but it seemed like there wouldn't be all that much contact between the arbor and spindle just on the threads, and of course no contact on the flat. The metal seems to be strong and hard so perhaps my concern is misplaced, but it is something I haven't seen before.
BuckeyeDennis wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:25 pm On their vintage cast-iron radial arm saws, there are a couple of places where DeWalt used set screws to lock onto threaded shafts. To prevent damage to the shaft thread, they would place small cylindrical brass slugs between the set screws and the shaft threads. If you lose the little brass slugs, a short snip from a suitable gauge of solid-copper wire makes a serviceable replacement.
That sounds like a good idea to ensure a snug fit, but in this case there is the Shopsmith style flat so I can't just wind wire around the threads.
spindle 3.jpg
spindle 3.jpg (111.69 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
arbor 2.jpg
arbor 2.jpg (75.36 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
arbor 3.jpg
arbor 3.jpg (64.15 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
arbor 5.jpg
arbor 5.jpg (184.43 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
arbor 6.jpg
arbor 6.jpg (139.6 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
arbor 7.jpg
arbor 7.jpg (125.2 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Danriffle
Gold Member

Post by Danriffle »

Anyone replace bearings on their RAS? I think its time for mine to be done.
www.blacklocustwoodshop.com

4 - 10E/ERs
1 - MkV
1 - Yuba Sawsmith