Gilmer belt alignment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Re: Gilmer belt alignment

Post by HopefulSSer »

Yes this is all gilmer. Second pic -- offset bush is fully inserted and against stop screw and washer. There's a little boss cast onto the housing and that's where the screw sits when tight. In that pic I've less-than-fully inserted the bearing into the bush to move the belt inboard on the drive sleeve cog. That's what gives me the 1/8" or so of clearance you see in the first pic (as compared to the original pic in the first post).

Here's a pic that shows the boss cast into the housing. I'm tempted to remove it but I'm sure it's there for a reason so I will leave it be. But removing it would move the bush in the direction I feel it needs to go.

In this pic, based on Ed's comment, I've inserted the bearing almost fully into the bush. It's still not quite where it would like to sit based on the groove in it and the point on the grub screw. But with it set like this I still get a tiny whiff of air between the belt and shoulder of the drive sleeve cog so I think I will run it like this and see what happens. The belt still sits funny on the idler cog but not much I see to do about that.

IMG_6316.jpeg
IMG_6316.jpeg (187.07 KiB) Viewed 600 times
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

HopefulSSer,

I have been on vacation so let me add my comments a little late. The Gilmer Belt does ride next to the edge as shown in your earlier picture. Looking at different Gilmer Drive Sleeves I have seen that wear pattern on both non-clutch and clutched Drive Sleeves. Re-aligning the Idler Sleeve will affect the alignment of the belt to the motor as well as the speed adjustment. As far as wear to the edge of the Gilmer belt rubbing against the edge you are more likely to break the belt from other causes, especially on a non-clutch Drive Sleeve, before any wear there can become an issue. Most Gilmer Drive Sleeves are the clutched type as that was an early change during their first year of production.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Thanks! As I said earlier in the thread, I wasn't sure if it was normal or not but it looked odd. But since it's normal then I won't worry about it.
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466