520 table alignment on X and Y axis

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

GarthS
Silver Member

520 table alignment on X and Y axis

Post by GarthS »

On my 520 which I purchased on the secondary market, the Y axis (where the X axis is running with the tubes and the Y axis is running front to back) is not in-line with the quill. It is about 1/16” out over a 6” run. I’ve searched but not been able to find a remedy and can only think of shimming to correct it. Are there any other suggestions to correct it?
Garth S
Mark VIi
MARK V 500
Mark V shorty
Scroll saw, belt sander, jointer, bandsaw, strip sander
algale
Platinum Member

Re: 520 table alignment on X and Y axis

Post by algale »

I think you've got X and Y backwards. You say the Y axis is not in line with the quill but then say it is the X axis that runs along the tubes?

Regardless, tell us what points you are measuring from and to. Better yet post a picture. Depending what you are measuring there may be different suggestions.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

What is unclear to me is just what does "y axis is not in line with the quill" mean???

WHAT is out 1/16" over 6"??

What needs to be shimmed???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

GarthS wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:03 pm On my 520 which I purchased on the secondary market, the Y axis (where the X axis is running with the tubes and the Y axis is running front to back) is not in-line with the quill. It is about 1/16” out over a 6” run. I’ve searched but not been able to find a remedy and can only think of shimming to correct it. Are there any other suggestions to correct it?
I am not sure but I think that you are talking about squaring the table with the blade. I would typically call this "setting the miter track parallel to the blade. Is this what you are attempting to do?

There is some offset and the alignment is intended to minimize that. This sketch depicts a table with no offset to the blade; a very unlikely occurrence. If this is where you see the offset, your 1/16" (.0625") deviation can be reduced by loosening the four trunnion bolts and shifting the table.
Main Table.jpg
Main Table.jpg (302.33 KiB) Viewed 545 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Garth, if you do have an alignment issue and you have the trunnion bolts loose please consider this as a suggestion for getting back into alignment.

Put the Shopsmith in the horizontal boring mode but lower the table down until it contacts the ways tubes. (see the images)

Once in this position, measure the distance from the top edge of the table to each of the way tubes. Hopefully they are equal. If they are, secure the trunnion bolts and return to the table saw mode. If this works as I expect it to, you will find the miter tracks to be parallel to the blade.

I have just done this with my Mark 510 and 520 machines. It seems to work and may be still another way to quickly and easily align the table to the blade. No tweaking required. Hopefully
20211127_081049.jpg
20211127_081049.jpg (248.18 KiB) Viewed 534 times
20211127_081122.jpg
20211127_081122.jpg (273.91 KiB) Viewed 534 times
I used an aluminum plate to bridge the way tubes but this is not necessary. This could also be done with a piece of wood or anything else that is flat.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.