Shopsmith year of production

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Rockledge
Bronze Member

Shopsmith year of production

Post by Rockledge »

Brand new user here. I just acquired a Shopsmith MarkV from friends who found it in a shed at a home they purchased. I really have little need for it as I have a full wood shop, but I think it could be a great restoration project. It's missing some parts and in need of a lot of TLC. Hoping this forum will be a great source of information.

So my first question is trying to determine the year it was made. The chart on the Shopsmith site starts in 1954. The serial number on this unit is 260634, which is lower than the beginning number on the chart. Does this mean it was produced in 1953? It is a "greenie" so I know it's in that class. Thanks in advance.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith year of production

Post by chapmanruss »

Rockledge,

First off welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

The answer to your question is somewhat yes. The Shopsmith website now only lists by year instead of their old listing of serial numbers by month. That list started in April 1954 with S/N 263051. Mark 5's made before April are not listed. Your Mark 5 with serial number 260634 was likely made in February or March. The Shopsmith Mark 5 was introduced to the public on March 20, 1954 so units had already been in production for some time. Yours has the "A" Headstock and if still original doesn't have some of the early changes made to improve it. The topic at the following link named Shopsmith Mark 5 What When and Where will give you more information about the Mark 5.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24963

For any questions you have or help you may need can be found here on the Forum from the many members willing to share their Shopsmith knowledge.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Welcome to the Forum. I would suggest reading the sticky topics at the top of the Maintenance and Repair section. Many of the links there will help you with understanding and refurbishing your SS.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

The .pdf linked in the post below shows your machine was made in March of 1954 based on estimated production quantities. You can see several gaps in the history where exact production dates are unknown.
viewtopic.php?p=37415#p37415
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

For anyone interested I had made a fill in the blank months for the serial number chart similar to what Mickyd had done before me. His was an averaging to fill in the missing months. I did some varying of the production numbers based on comparing production by months for those given which produced some differences for the starting serial numbers for those missing months when compared to Mickyd's chart. I also used other sources of information to help but I am still looking for the starting serial number for the Mark 5. Just like Mickyd's chart mine is only an estimate and I didn't try to fill in the months prior to April 1954. I also did some estimated starting serial numbers by months for the missing years 1962 to 1977. Again, that chart is only estimates and with the information JPG had provided about when he purchased his Goldie it can be off by several months. Those 2 charts are below.
Mark V Serial Numbers.pdf
Serial Numbers by Month
(121.78 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Mark V Serial Numbers - The Lost Numbers.pdf
1962 through 1977
(99.56 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
As Mickyd pointed out the biggest gaps, besides 1962 through 1977, occurred in 1956, 1957 and 1958 with that many Shopsmith's produced it is hard to believe there was no production during those missing months. The hardest part of this is trying to put together information from different references for something that happened decades ago.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Rockledge
Bronze Member

Post by Rockledge »

Thank you all. Looks like I'm embarking on an interesting journey.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Rockledge,

As you begin to work on your Mark 5, take plenty of pictures as you go. They can be a great help later when you begin to reassemble it. If something doesn't look right, you can post a picture here to ask about it. We are here to help anytime you need it.

As I mentioned before your Mark 5 is an early one and if still original doesn't have changes made to improve its operation. There were several changes made, mostly in the headstock, during those first few years the Mark 5 was in production. Two of the changes involved upgrades to the drive system. One was adding a bearing retainer to the Idler Shaft to keep the bearing from pulling in or pushing out of the headstock castings mount as the cap screw and nut were unable to hold it in position on its own. It is important not to over tighten the cap screw and nut to avoid breaking the headstock casting. Another major change to the headstock was the addition of a clutch to the Drive Sleeve assembly to help avoid breaking the Gilmer Belt.

While disassembling your Mark 5 note the condition of the parts and in particular the headstock parts. Look for signs of wear on the Speed Control Assembly and the condition of the bearings in the Idler Shaft Assembly, Drive Sleeve Assembly and the Quill Assembly. Addressing any problems early will avoid delays when reassembling your Mark 5. There is good news here even if parts need replacing. The Speed Control Assembly is still pretty much the same today as it was almost 68 years ago when your Mark 5 was made. Bearings are still available for the three assemblies using them.

We would love to see your progress, including pictures, of your restoration.

Lastly a word of warning, restoring Shopsmith Tools can be habit forming. :eek: A number of years ago after getting my first Shopsmith, a Mark V 520 and learning more about Shopsmith Tools, I bought a Shopsmith Model 10ER (S/N R64000) to restore. I still have that Model 10ER and have since restored 21 more Model 10's, 4 Mark 5/V's (2 Greenies, a Goldie and 1 gray) and many SPT's. I currently have 2 Model 10E's (S/N's 1033 & 1076) and 2 Mark 2's I am restoring. I do enjoy working on these old tools that with care can seemingly last forever. Do consider yourself warned. :D
Russ

Mark V 520
DonJameson
Bronze Member

Post by DonJameson »

Hi New User here.
I have a 10E with a serial number of 2544. It was bought by my dad in Australia sometime befre I was born. Is there anyway of findoing out when it was built?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

DonJameson,

First off welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

There were Shopsmith Model 10E's made in Australia. They actually had Model 10ER parts and began being made there several years after the introduction of the Shopsmith Model 10E in 1947. The first "tell" is the extra plate on the headstock for the company that made/sold them in Australia. The second is of course having a Model 10E that compares to a Model 10ER. Another difference is the starting serial numbers for the Australian made Shopsmith's being lower than the 1001 starting serial number of the first Model 10E in the US. Some Model 10E's made in Australia have an "A" prefix for the serial number.

A 10E with serial number 2544 could have been made in the US or Australia but they would be different as already explained. A picture of it would tell which it is. If made in Australia it would be from the early 1950's just like most of the Model 10ER's which ended production in the US before the Mark 5 came out in March of 1954.

I do not know if entire tools were made in the US and then shipped to Australia but there was a company licensed to make and sell them there. There are Shopsmith tools around the world and have gotten there by many means. A Shopsmith Scroll Saw I once owned went to Australia.

Below is a picture of Shopsmith Model 10E S/N 899 from Australia also without the A prefix. It has the Model 10ER parts but is referred to as a 10E in Australia. There is the additional plate on the headstock.

_
Australian 10E S-N 899.jpg
Australian 10E S-N 899.jpg (144.52 KiB) Viewed 641 times
Russ

Mark V 520