New Member Old user

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Planoflyer
Bronze Member

New Member Old user

Post by Planoflyer »

Hello all, I am a new member to this forum, though I have owned my SS Mark V 510 since about 1990. I am writing to get some input on upgrades and needed updates on my 510. I apologize in advance if this is listed somewhere within this forum already, and if so please direct me there. I consider myself a moderate woodworking hobbyist and able to do most repairs/upgrades myself. I am in the process of designing a new shop and while the design progresses, I would like to get my 510 back to tip-top shape for its new home. I bought the 510 new around 1990, and no major overhauls have been done and so I suspect that there are some components that will need replacement. I have replaced the drive belt once I think, about 10 years ago. In the last 10 years, the saw has been used very little. I look forward to changing that.
A few years ago I came across Jacob Anderson’s shop online. I cant find that anymore, though I have found his videos on YouTube. At the time I had considered sending him my headstock for a checkout/refresh, but now I may do some of that myself.
My questions begin there. Is it worth it to just replace the worn parts (eg. bearings, etc) or should I upgrade to the Power Pro? I guess that would make it a Mark 7?
Also I have had some frustrations with the table (510) setup and its accuracy, so I wonder whether its worth it to upgrade to the 520 table? Or is there a better option for getting the most out of my SS? I have considered going to a traditional Table Saw in the new shop, and continue to use the SS for other purposes and specialty operations. I am currently planning on getting back to building built-ins and some furniture. So a better table that could more easily and accurately handle larger pieces and beveled cuts would be my dream.

I currently have the 4” jointer, band saw and all the normal accessories that came with my 510 when I bought it. I would like to find a router or shaper attachment, and possible the belt or strip sander. I don’t really do any turning, but I haven’t ruled that out.

Another question is whether i can (or is it even recommended) wire the Mark V for 240v or is an upgrade required for that?

Sorry for the length of this post, But I would like to make some improvements to my setup without breaking the bank. I appreciate any suggestions for upgrade/updates and where my money and time would be best spent.

Thanks in advance

Ron
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: New Member Old user

Post by dusty »

There will be opposing opinions on this but I do not believe the 520 provides greater accuracy. The big difference is the fence. Stabilize the 510 fence and you will achieve all the accuracy that a Shopsmith can provide. Just make sure that all of the component in/on your 510 are properly maintained and PROPERLY aligned.

Precision is more a function of the user than of the table saw.

Just my opinion and I am still sticking with it...after years of owning and using both a 510 and a 520.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Planoflyer, how much space will you have in your new shop? Do you have any particular power-tool budget in mind?

To answer one of your questions, a Mark V can’t be wired for 240V unless it is it has a 240V motor installed. To my knowledge, no Mark V motors are dual voltage. A PowerPro, on the other hand, can run on either, and has a higher power rating when run on 240V.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Unless your 510 has a dual voltage motor, 240v is not possible(unless planning a future upgrade to a PP).

I am curious what issues you have had with the table saw accuracy.

Re any upgrades, I suggest waiting until you determine you NEED any of them.

FWIW, My Goldie is dual voltage(ordered that way).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

The new casters are pretty spiffy. Won't break the bank and will improve your roll.

Before I'd do those other upgrades, I'd do some simple maintenance on the 510. Jacob Anderson's videos are good as are the old "Sawdust Sessions" that Shopsmith sponsored. Available on youtube.

If everything just needs a tune up, I'd probably stop there. I'd compare the price of those other upgrades and think about what additional functionality if any I would gain and use on the Shopsmith for that money versus what other things I could buy and put in my shop with that money.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Planoflyer
Bronze Member

Post by Planoflyer »

Thanks everyone. Keep in mind I am asking these questions now, before overhauling my Mark V, so I can make a more informed decision as I go through the overhaul. I do intend to overhaul the head stock/powerhead first before anything else. I just cant get to it yet because of the fact that its kind of buried in the back of my garage until I can clear out some space and create some space to work. (My new shop is not yet built).
I've always felt like the rip fence on the 510 was a little weak and never quite aligned with the blade. I'm sure there is some operator error in there, but I feel like i followed the alignment process closely. The perfectionist in me was never fully satisfied with how well it aligned. I have often wondered if the 520 setup was that much better or more accurate. So my question regarding the 510 vs 520 is simply what are the differences; what makes the 520 better than the the 510? Is it better at handling a particular type of cut or size of stock?
As for the Power Pro upgrade, I believe that more power is generally better, and better control of that power even more important. Having said that, i could never justify the expense until now when I started looking into the cost of tuning up my power head (assuming it may need bearings, etc) and the cost of possibly of buying a dedicated table saw. Is the power increase or control that much better with the Power Pro? I plan to have 240v available, and In the new shop I should have plenty of room. I am doing the layout design now but the building will be basically 30 x 30.

I still have the question of whether my current powerhead is enough to run/control the shaper or router accessories? Or am I better off going with a stand-alone router table? Shop space is not really going to be a factor in that decision. Also is the speed control with the power pro that much better than the Mark V at the higher speeds needed for those accessories?

Dusty, I'm curious when/where you were associated with SAC? I was a SAC crewmember in the late 80s until it was taken over by AMC/ACC in the 90s. 909th AREFS, Kadena 88-91, and 509th AREFS, Griffiss AFB, NY 91-94.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Hi Plano -

I have visited Jacob to help me with some bearing replacements in early 2021.
At least till then he was working on SS repairs though I couldnt tell you if he was still doing teardown/rebuilds.
I know he didnt service powerpro's though :)

As for routing options, I have a powerpro and seldom use it for routing jobs. I will sometimes use it for boring using router bits (like to make mortises) , but opt for my router table /dewalt router whenever I am edging / channeling/ any function like that.

I think the reason is that in drill press mode- i can see and control where i'm boring....I don't have that when on the router table. Typically for boring mortises like that , I run at 5000 rpm, that is fast enough for this type of job with a good router bit.

b
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ron,

A few thoughts for you. I upgraded one of my Mark V's to a Mark 7. Just changing to the PowerPro motor does not a Mark 7 make. A Mark 7 also has the double tilt ends replacing the base and headrest ends of the Mark V and it uses the 520 fence system. The PowerPro does have the option of running on 120 or 240 with more HP than the conventional Mark V headstock motor.

I haven't used the fence system of the Mark V 510/505 so I cannot give you an opinion on it vs. the 520/Mark 7. The difference between those models is the fence system which is the fence and rails. Others like Dusty can give you great recommendations on the use of the 510/505 fence. Accurate alignment can be achieved with either fence system.

As for the table saw function, I have a 10" Craftsman Table Saw with an upgraded fence system but the Shopsmith Mark's I have can cut a wider board with more space between the blade and fence. Even my Shopsmith Model 10E and 10ER can cut wider than my Craftsman and most other Table Saws. The one downside of using the Shopsmith's for a table saw comes when making a bevel cut. On the Shopsmith's you have to tilt the table instead of tilting the motor as you would do on a table saw. That is the reason I have kept my table saw but have not actually used it for years. With the floating tables you have extra flexibility for table configurations. The floating tables can be used to add table width but can also be used to add infeed and/or outfeed table space.

For routing or shaping there are a lot of opinions on that. Using the Shopsmith limits the RPM available to a much slower speed than using a router. Using the Shopsmith good results can be achieved but you need to be careful to feed the work slower to compensate for the slower RPM. I have done routing on a Mark V with good results.

As for doing your own work it sounds like you have the confidence to do it. I believe I heard that Jacob has retired. Servicing your current Headstock or upgrading it to the PowerPro sounds like something you would be capable of doing. Right now, weigh the cost vs. benefit of upgrading to the PowerPro. Another plus to the PowerPro is the wider speed range of 250 to 10,000 RPM. I did the PowerPro upgrade myself and following the instructions found it fairly easy to do. Keep in mind we are available to help you through any work needed or answer any questions you may have.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Some people have said the 520 rails are easier to align than the 510 but I have no experience with the 510 so I don't know.

I do think if you wanted to add the Jessum Clear-Cut TS Stock Guides, as several of us have, the width of the 520 fence makes them an easy fit. Not sure if they'd work on a 510 fence. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22171
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

RCZ
Gold Member

Post by RCZ »

Hello Ron

I found Jacob's site a while ago and at some point, I see he updated his status as being retired. Here is what he currently has active for a website:

https://jacobvb.wordpress.com/

I sent a headstock to James Hopp in Raleigh NC. Here is his website:

https://shopsmithrepair.com/

I hope this helps.

Rob

Planoflyer wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:44 pm
A few years ago I came across Jacob Anderson’s shop online. I cant find that anymore, though I have found his videos on YouTube. At the time I had considered sending him my headstock for a checkout/refresh, but now I may do some of that myself.

Thanks in advance

Ron