BS Eccentric Mounting Tubes

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tfrayne
Gold Member

BS Eccentric Mounting Tubes

Post by tfrayne »

Hello again.
Still working to get the Mk V set up. The BS is missing one of the mounting tubes and I went to the SS website to order a replacement. Here is a link to it:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... gtubes.htm

I noticed the picture displayed on the site was different than the one I have. I inquired Customer Service and they advised it was the same only New and Improved. I was about to order a 4 pack and change over both the BS and the Jointer to the new ones.

However, upon reading the reviews at least one user reported the new ones do not seem as stable as the old design. Looking for a recommendation to either purchase new or look for old on Ebay/CL, etc.

Thanks everyone
Attachments
the sole tube that came with my SS BS
the sole tube that came with my SS BS
IMG_6236.jpg (57.3 KiB) Viewed 878 times
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: BS Eccentric Mounting Tubes

Post by JPG »

OMG! They actually told you that? The part linked to in your post is different for another reason. They were created after the aluminum table was created and it was "discovered" during a demo that the original ones(might have been straight tubes at that time) would not allow with the wider aluminum table the SS to be tilted to vertical.

Since you have a cast iron table another one of the style you have will work. Older straight one as well.(sorta)

The jointer posts are MUCH shorter.

Ya need this un.
BS eccentric tubes.jpg
BS eccentric tubes.jpg (115.22 KiB) Viewed 872 times
Offset/eccentric - gets confusing!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

A long candidate which might also work is the Strip Sander eccentric: 5137769 .

Yeah, the "diving board" eccentrics for the aluminum-table version I did not like... too much swinging.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As JPG has pointed out the standard eccentric tubes are different than the special offset ones you found. You can find the correct original eccentric tubes in the service parts under the Bandsaw. It is part number 5137779 Eccentric Post for Bandsaw and are $19.59 each. You should only need one if the one you have is a correct one. The Bandsaw Eccentric Mounting Tubes are 6-1/2” long and 4-1/2” from the top to the offset. The Eccentric Bandsaw tubes are the same as the Scroll Saw and Belt Sander. Note the Jointer eccentric tubes at 3-1/2" overall are much shorter than the Bandsaws tubes.

As stated in the description of the special offset Bandsaw Mounting Tubes in the catalog
Designed to offset your bandsaw in the Mark V mounting tubes just enough to allow you to raise to drill press position without having to remove the bandsaw from its mount.
This applies to Bandsaws with the aluminum table and fence so the Bandsaw can be left on the Mark V when it is raised into the Drill Press mode. This doesn't apply to Mark 7's or Mark V's with the double tilt ends. SPT's need to be removed before raising a double tilt end Mark tool.

Like JPG I cannot believe they told you it was new and improved instead of telling you about the standard eccentric tubes.

There has been discussion about using the Strip Sanders tubes which are 2-3/8" longer to have them go all the way through the upper ring in the Bandsaw's Main Fram Casting but they have to be cut shorter to fit.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The SS site identifies the same part for BS and strip sander. ??

In my opinion the tubes NEED to be full in including the upper 'rings'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:14 pm ...
In my opinion the tubes NEED to be full in including the upper 'rings'.
+1. The straight tubes even go all the way to the stop. Plus, all the way into the Headrest. So I use those and give up eccentricity. One version that meets all the goals doesn't seem to be on the menu... If I had to have eccentricity my choice would be cut down strip sander mounts.

- David
tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

I feel like a child catching every fifth or sixth word in a grown-up conversation........

Sounds like 5137779 is the way to go. Have no idea why the 555626 is sold in a pack of four.
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

WHY all this talk about shortening Strip Sander tubes, when the SS site states the tubes are for both the BS and Strip Sander. ??? SS site funky ?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

tfrayne wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:41 pm I feel like a child catching every fifth or sixth word in a grown-up conversation........

Sounds like 5137779 is the way to go. Have no idea why the 555626 is sold in a pack of four.
That is not a pack of four. It is two mounting apparatie(?) which are actually solid round bars with a flimsy piece of thin bar stock connecting each pair. Beefing up that flimsy bar provides far greater stability and the spring board effect is minimized.

Alternate solution, get a power station or a shorty.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

I’m going to go with the 5137779. The one I have looks serviceable so I will just need one.

It will have to wait until next week. Need every spare dollar this week. Our oven crapped out on Christmas Day and the repair shop just called back. Parts came in (repaired control panel) and I have an appt tomorrow to finally get it up and running again!
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!