BS Eccentric Mounting Tubes

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tfrayne
Gold Member

Re: BS Eccentric Mounting Tubes

Post by tfrayne »

Also, in re-reading each post, learning has occurred. I now understand the difference between the two designs and the capabilities/limitations of both.

If later I decide to try the 5137779 beefing up the connector will be a good idea.
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG,

Going back to a couple of your previous posts for clarification
The SS site identifies the same part for BS and strip sander. ??
and
WHY all this talk about shortening Strip Sander tubes, when the SS site states the tubes are for both the BS and Strip Sander. ??? SS site funky ?
The Bandsaw uses the same Eccentric Mounting Tubes (current P/N 5137779) as the Belt Sander and the Scroll Saw which are 6-1/2" long but not the same as the Strip Sander (current P/N 5137769) which is 8-7/8" inches long and was also the Eccentric Mounting Tubes for the Jig Saw. In both cases the original part numbers left off the last digit 9 (P/N 513777 and 513776) making the numbers consecutive. I do not know the reason Shopsmith has added an extra number to part numbers in recent years making them 7 digits instead of the 6-digit part numbers that started in 1964. I hope this isn't adding to the part number confusion.

As for using the Strip Sander's Mounting tubes on the bandsaw to have them completely in the upper hole in the Main Frame and cutting them down to the correct length, I will say that it is up to the preference of the Bandsaw user. As for the 6 Bandsaws I have, or have had as restorations I have sold, I used original Mounting Tubes either straight or eccentric as they originally came. The original Straight Mounting Tubes that came with the Bandsaw were 7-1/2" long as opposed to the current 6-1/2" long Eccentric Mounting Tubes. On my 1956 Bandsaw having Straight Mounting Tubes they are all the way up to the stop in the Main Frame and the height is adjusted with the collars.

tfrayne,

You said,
If later I decide to try the 5137779 beefing up the connector will be a good idea.
Do you actually mean trying P/N 555626 the extra offset Eccentric Mounting Tubes? I know, a lot of numbers to keep tracked of. Just trying to keep things straight for anyone else that may read this thread and the reason for this entire post.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

Yes. I got my numbers mixed up
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!