BS table leveling plate.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

runamuk13
Silver Member

BS table leveling plate.

Post by runamuk13 »

Let's talk about why the smart people at Shopsmith decided to use a allen-head bolt on the bottom of the bandsaw table that is a different size than every other allen head screw on the entire machine. What the heck were they thinking?!?!

Why didn't they simply use a 5/32" allen-head bolt?
Mark V - 500 --> 510 --> 520 --> 7 PowerPro
Bandsaw, Jointer, Planer and more
Shopsmith owner since 1984
garys
Platinum Member

Re: BS table leveling plate.

Post by garys »

Likely because this is a screw that wasn't meant to be messed with regularly. I've had my Shopsmith for almost 40 years and have never had a reason to turn those screws.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

garys wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:20 pm Likely because this is a screw that wasn't meant to be messed with regularly. I've had my Shopsmith for almost 40 years and have never had a reason to turn those screws.
How did you change blades?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

On my bandsaw, the screws are loose enough that the hook can be easily opened and closed by hand without tools. I never saw any reason to tighten it more than that so I never had to loosen it either.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Mine started out tight and continued to re-tighten to prevent vibration from loosening the screws. I suppose a little bit of Loc-Tite could prevent that, I'll try that out next time I change the blade.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

OK, regarding screws and the SS tool kit.

Back then when SS adopted the 5/32 hex wrench as a replacement for the three that came with a Model 10 getting the appropriate head on any screw was possible.

Then the screw manufacturers(or what/who ever) created STANDARDS for what size hex socket was used in different size screws and different heads.

The original bandsaw had screws that now the standard calls for 3/16 sockets. I think that is accurate, but is an assumption on my part regarding 'history'.

This standardization has caused some changes in the size screws used so as to use 5/32 wrench which are contrary to the original design.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I have a 1956 Bandsaw which has the screws that use a 5/32" Allen Wrench. I have restored and resold 3 other Bandsaws with Cast Iron Tables, but I do not recall which size Allen Wrench the screws used. They were (in order of restoration) a 1985, a 1978 and a 1984 of which I sold the 1984 just before Christmas but I cannot remember the Allen Wrench size since I always have an 1/8", 5/32" and 3/16" Allen Wrenches close at hand since I work on Model 10's which I do a lot of too. I cannot even tell you if the thread size is the same between my 1956 and the later Bandsaws with Cast Iron Tables. Something I never thought to compare while having different vintage Bandsaws.

There are a number of instances that a different size other than the "Shopsmith Toolbox" 5/32" Allem Wrench is needed due to the size of a set screw used on an item. The 1/4" Router Chuck is an example. I believe JPG is correct in that "Standards" now decide the Allen Wrench size for different Hex Screws.

To eliminate the problem of having other than a 5/32" Allen Wrench size needed for your Bandsaw's Cast Iron Table you could upgrade to the Aluminum Table which uses a carriage bolt and knurled nut to keep the slot aligned. That is a more expensive option than buying a different size Allen Wrench. :D
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Always have a round a 'Swiss Army Allen Wrench' similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/STEELMAN-41929-9 ... 70113&th=1

Once I find the size I usually grab a regular L wrench from the drawer and keep around until I finish the project. I have several of the regular 5/32 wrenches stuck on magnets around the shop.
Ed from Rhode Island

beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Well I FINALLY found a "round toit". I was delayed by the GS's pinewood derby car. Wanted to use a 1/4" blade, but had a 3/8 blade on it. I turned the BS upside down and placed it between the way tubes on the table. Soaked the bolts with liquid wrench, lets it set for an hour. Then re-soaked it and with much downward, twisting force, they FINALLY broke loose.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob