Start trips breaker

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Start trips breaker

Post by dusty »

Dingo76 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:53 pm Thx fir the responses
I have lubricated the holes as per manual
By hand it turns Smoothly
Plugged in, turned on it trips the breaker after 1/4 turn
With lower belt removed, the motor starts and spins every time
If it was me, I'd be headed to a motor shop. If there is something wrong with the motor continuing to apply power will not make it better.

Testing with NO LOAD is a meaningless test at this point. Start switch works and windings are not open; that is all you can conclude.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

With the belt off and motor spinning, turn it off and listen for an audible click. This is the start switch resetting as the motor winds down. The click is normal.

Check the power cord condition and size. It should be at least 14 AWG. (OEM). 12 is better. 16 or smaller is too small.

For now, it's best to not use any extension cord. If you must, use as short as possible and 12 AWG.

For now, ensure the Mark is on a circuit where it is the only load.

You said it turns about 1/4 turn before the CB trips. That's either a very fast trip or a very slow start. How fast does it trip? Can you try it on another circuit?

- David
lastdigitofpi
Bronze Member

Post by lastdigitofpi »

I had the same problem, Motor almost got up to speed then the breaker tripped. Problem was that I have an Arc Fault Circuit Breaker. Had to plug the SS into a NON-Arc Fault Circuit Breaker.
If this is not the case with you, then I suspect there is an overload (Too much resistance to rotation). Or a problem with the Capacitor.
Dingo76
Bronze Member

Post by Dingo76 »

Thx
Will look into that
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Is it possible for you to monitor the line voltage during startup? The problem may be caused by the line voltage dropping during startup due to losses in faulty wiring external to the Shopsmith.
Bill V
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

wa2crk wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:59 pm Is it possible for you to monitor the line voltage during startup? The problem may be caused by the line voltage dropping during startup due to losses in faulty wiring external to the Shopsmith.
Bill V
Interesting! But, one question. What should one expect to see when using typical monitoring equipment (Fluke Multimeter here)?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-55263- ... g/29764594

My thoughts are it could be a amp issue but with out monitoring the supply line voltage / amperage it would be anyone's guess ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262715986670
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A digital meter does not lend itself to transient fluctuation indication.

The old fashioned kind would be better(d'arsonval movement).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:54 pm A digital meter does not lend itself to transient fluctuation indication.

Might that not depend on which model multimeter is being used.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

JPG wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:54 pm A digital meter does not lend itself to transient fluctuation indication.

-----------------

The first link and voltage meter with a needle would be a analog meter ? sort of like the old automobile volt / amp gage , I use a digital meter like the 2nd link for radio repair , I use it for monitoring DC voltage . I can monitor line voltage from the power supply as well as power consumption in all radio operations , especially when in the transmit mode , they do have their limitations but are also very compact and easy to install . the 2nd link is a AC operations monitor .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)