The Amazing Evaporust

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

The Amazing Evaporust

Post by wannabewoodworker »

I have been reading about Evaporust here for many years bt never had an opportunity to by any. So recently I was in Lowes getting some stuff and happened to see Evaporust on the shelf so I picked up a quart bottle to try it out. Well I had some Shopsmith brad point bits that came in their original box from one of my several SS purchases. These look like they never had been in a chuck but they were very rusty and being that they came in an original Magna box I knew they were pretty old. So I decided to give the Evaporust a test drive on these bits to see how well it works. Well suffice it to say I was totally amazed at the results. I poured a bunch of the fluid into a small plastic bucket and put the bits in it totally submerged. I left them on the bench and forgot about them. A couple of days later I saw them and remembered I had put them in there so I took them out and low and behold I see what looks to be brand new drill bits. I mean literally they looked brand new.

I am going to chuck them up and drill some holes on a project I am going to do for the SWMBO here soon and I am confident they will drill perfectly as they feel razor sharp after sitting in their box for 50+ years. So if you have some rusty parts that need some restoration don't hesitate to buy some Evaporust to remove the rust as it works like a charm just as everyone else here has stated many times in the past.

Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I find that it works as advertised although it tends to darken the metal permanently.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

algale wrote:I find that it works as advertised although it tends to darken the metal permanently.
I was thinking about trying this out rather than jacking with electrolysis. How do you guys dispose of the waste product? The website says biodegradable and neutral pH so I assume I could pour it in the grass or down a hole in the ground and not feel too guilty?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

frank81 wrote:I was thinking about trying this out rather than jacking with electrolysis. How do you guys dispose of the waste product? The website says biodegradable and neutral pH so I assume I could pour it in the grass or down a hole in the ground and not feel too guilty?
It is 'reusable', so why 'dispose'? It does get less effective eventually.

I have yet to 'dispose' of any. It will 'disappear' of left open too long.

Mine disappears with the clean up rags etc.;)

Washing soda is much cheaper. I use evaporust for smaller parts and tubes(pvc pipes), and electrolysis for larger parts.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Yep, EvapoRust for smaller parts. I like to use plastic water bottles. Cut the top off, put the small parts in, then pour in just enough EvapoRust to cover the parts. But it does work amazingly well. As evidenced by this drill chuck I rescued with it:

Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Wait, EvapoRust can be used for big things too! This car was derusted with a catch basin, a sump pump, and 5 gallons of Evaporust.

Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
griffmeister
Gold Member

Post by griffmeister »

heathicus wrote:Wait, EvapoRust can be used for big things too! This car was derusted with a catch basin, a sump pump, and 5 gallons of Evaporust.

Oooooo..., is that an E-Type? What year?
donalexander
Gold Member

Seeing is believing

Post by donalexander »

I'm cleaning up a 1951 10ER, a remarkable machine and precursor of the Mark 5. For the most part I could clean the 62 years of use and neglect off the machine with phosphoric acid, brake cleaner, and wood gum solvents. But the saw blade chuck was too rusty and wouldn't come clean. After reading the claims here about Evaporust I hunted down a quart at my local Lowes store. It wasn't even $3! How could something so cheap actually work.

Well, last night I put the chuck, in pieces into an Evaporust bath for the night. This morning I was pretty much astounded. With a little steel wool and a warm water rinse, the parts were like new. A light coat of oil and I was finished. I had my doubts but that stuff is amazing. The pictures here made me wonder but seeing it first hand for myself, made me a believer. I sure am curious about what its made of, though.
Don

Mark V (bought new, now sold), Model 520 (1989 510 upgraded)
Bandsaw, Jointer, and Planer
1951 Magna Engineering 10ER (restored for lathe use and sold)
sawmill
Gold Member

Post by sawmill »

Wii evapo rust take paint or chrome off the parts. I have some tools that I want to use them on and I have a few pieces to a Shopsmith that has rust on them
donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

sawmill wrote:Wii evapo rust take paint or chrome off the parts. I have some tools that I want to use them on and I have a few pieces to a Shopsmith that has rust on them
In my experience, which is very limited, Evaporust doesn't hurt paint or what I think are chromed surfaces. Here's what the company says,

[INDENT]Anodizing, Cobalt Tungsten Carbide, Powder Coating, Chrome, Nickel, Paint, and most other coatings will not be removed as long as they do not contain oxides. EVAPO-RUST will not harm lead or solder points.[/INDENT]
Don

Mark V (bought new, now sold), Model 520 (1989 510 upgraded)
Bandsaw, Jointer, and Planer
1951 Magna Engineering 10ER (restored for lathe use and sold)