Jointer teardown and cleanup

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

If you have a set of calipers or can borrow one just measure the bearings (ID, OD and thickness) and use a search function on one of several websites and match the bearings. I use VXB at http://www.VXB.com and I get excellent service.
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Do not be surprised that evaporust will 'remove' the black oxide on the cutter head.;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wa2crk wrote:If you have a set of calipers or can borrow one just measure the bearings (ID, OD and thickness) and use a search function on one of several websites and match the bearings. I use VXB at www.VXB.com and I get excellent service.
Bill V
And do tell us what they measured!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

As I said earlier I have only done one and that was probably ten years ago. Memory not too good no more.
Three things happen when you get old.
First you lose your memory but I can never remember what the other two things are.:D
Bill V
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

JPG40504 wrote:And do tell us what they measured!:)
OD: 1.125" / 28.59mm

ID: .497" / 12.65mm

Width (thickness) : .311" / 7.90mm
" I cut it twice and it's still too short"

2006 Mark 520, 1983 Mark V model 500(soon to be a shorty)/Power Stand mounted Planer/Jointer/Belt Sander/Band Saw/Jigsaw on pwr stand/Scroll saw/Strip Sander/Power Station/Speed Reducer/Increaser/2 Nova chucks.... 12" DeWalt sliding compound mitre saw, 10" Delta tabletop saw, Bosch router and jig saw, Makita circular saw, Graco V-COMP HVLP, Festool CT-26 E Hepa
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

[quote="JPG40504"]Do not be surprised that evaporust will 'remove' the black oxide on the cutter head.]

Thanks, I'll be wary of that when I get to that point.

I'll have to google that and see how tough that coating is.

BTW, do you already have personal experience with this "phenomenon" (just wanted to see if I could spell it)? :D

2006 Mark 520, 1983 Mark V model 500(soon to be a shorty)/Power Stand mounted Planer/Jointer/Belt Sander/Band Saw/Jigsaw on pwr stand/Scroll saw/Strip Sander/Power Station/Speed Reducer/Increaser/2 Nova chucks.... 12" DeWalt sliding compound mitre saw, 10" Delta tabletop saw, Bosch router and jig saw, Makita circular saw, Graco V-COMP HVLP, Festool CT-26 E Hepa
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

pieceseeker wrote:OD: 1.125" / 28.59mm

ID: .497" / 12.65mm

Width (thickness) : .311" / 7.90mm
I use the R8Z bearing in this size. 1/2" X 1 1/8" X 5/16"
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

pieceseeker wrote:Thanks, I'll be wary of that when I get to that point.

I'll have to google that and see how tough that coating is.

BTW, do you already have personal experience with this "phenomenon" (just wanted to see if I could spell it)? :D

Evaporust does not care what color the rust is. Black oxide is rust.

Yes I have created non black parts from black oxided ones.:D For that reason I now usually only wire brush blox parts and accept the slightly rough surface that remains. JPW makes them look decent enough. Parts which must fit into others are an exception.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

billmayo wrote:I use the R8Z bearing in this size. 1/2" X 1 1/8" X 5/16"
Do realize the bearings need to be self aligning(not 'regular' ball bearings).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

Well, finally got my new bearings for the cutter head on the jointer.

But first had to deal with the rust on the cutter head. Evapo rusted it and sure enough all the blackening came off. I was forewarned.

Luckily, Eastwood Company offers a blackening solution, so I decided to experiment.

I was satisfied with the results. Did a few other rusty parts while I was at it.

[ATTACH]21012[/ATTACH]

Tapped the new bearings on.

[ATTACH]21013[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21014[/ATTACH]

Tapped on the bearing caps (I guess they could be called bearing pillow blocks)

[ATTACH]21015[/ATTACH]

Also received my dust chute retro kit for the jointer.

[ATTACH]21016[/ATTACH]

So this week I'll start final cleanup and waxing of the painted portions of the jointer body and reassembly.

I see this week's email special is the dial indicator for aligning table to saw and jointer and planer knife alignment.
Guess I'll have to get one of those too! :rolleyes:
Attachments
Cutter head blackening.jpg
Cutter head blackening.jpg (144.5 KiB) Viewed 2879 times
Cutter head with bearings.jpg
Cutter head with bearings.jpg (74.45 KiB) Viewed 2878 times
Cutter head with bearings 2.jpg
Cutter head with bearings 2.jpg (85.65 KiB) Viewed 2879 times
Cutter head with bearing caps.jpg
Cutter head with bearing caps.jpg (120.42 KiB) Viewed 2879 times
Dust Chute retro kit.jpg
Dust Chute retro kit.jpg (123.74 KiB) Viewed 2879 times