Large Allen Screw

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

scollins
Gold Member

Large Allen Screw

Post by scollins »

While using my joiner, I heard a noise soon followed by a large (~1/2" dia.) allen screw bouncing on the floor between the joiner and the headstock area of my SS. The SS still worked fine with no other noise. The noise I heard seemed to be from the headstock area. So far I haven't been able to find where this came from. Is there an allen screw that large in the SS somewhere?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

scollins wrote:While using my joiner, I heard a noise soon followed by a large (~1/2" dia.) allen screw bouncing on the floor between the joiner and the headstock area of my SS. The SS still worked fine with no other noise. The noise I heard seemed to be from the headstock area. So far I haven't been able to find where this came from. Is there an allen screw that large in the SS somewhere?

There is only one large setscrew in the Mark V that I know of. And it is one of the few setscrews that could fall out and result in little or no noticeable effect.

The setscrew (#9) that I am thinking about is in the headrest (#13) and makes contact with the tie bar (#25). There is nothing like that in the headstock.

[ATTACH]20822[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Capture Mark V (Custom).PNG
Capture Mark V (Custom).PNG (83.38 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Assuming a 'headless' setscrew, I agree with Dusty!

If however it has a 1/2" 'head', then it came off the other end(vertical lock screw/'knob').

There is no way one that large could 'escape' from the headstock.

#18, but they are usually 9/16" hex headed screws.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Culprit
Gold Member

Post by Culprit »

My money is on #6 in the diagram Dusty posted above.

Scollins said it was ~1/2" diameter, and he only said Allen screw. He didn't say anything about a set screw.
1955 Greenie, modified to be reversible
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Although not quite 1/2" - check all four screws that lock the main table to the tilt trunnions.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

scollins wrote:While using my joiner, I heard a noise soon followed by a large (~1/2" dia.) allen screw bouncing on the floor between the joiner and the headstock area of my SS. The SS still worked fine with no other noise. The noise I heard seemed to be from the headstock area. So far I haven't been able to find where this came from. Is there an allen screw that large in the SS somewhere?
Though not 1/2" in diameter, the original jointers used allen screws to level the blades.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Culprit wrote:My money is on #6 in the diagram Dusty posted above.

Scollins said it was ~1/2" diameter, and he only said Allen screw. He didn't say anything about a set screw.
What on #6 is 1/2"? (bushing does not count!)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Culprit
Gold Member

Post by Culprit »

JPG40504 wrote:What on #6 is 1/2"? (bushing does not count!)
You're right - I was typing at work and going from memory. And when I got home I checked and it's a large flathead, not an Allen screw.
1955 Greenie, modified to be reversible
scollins
Gold Member

Post by scollins »

Dusty was dead on with the call for screw #9. I had to release the headstock ways to find the hole. Thanks for saving me a lot of time searching.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

scollins wrote:Dusty was dead on with the call for screw #9. I had to release the headstock ways to find the hole. Thanks for saving me a lot of time searching.
The next question, is, how did you adjust it after reinserting it into the threaded hole?;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝