AO Smith 1 & 1/8 HP Motor Guide - Forward / Reverse, Bearings, Wiring, etc.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

You can help relieve a set in the belt by turning it inside out for a while. I store them this way as well. Glad to know your motor buzzing has been fixed :)
freedomlives
Gold Member

Post by freedomlives »

Thank you all for this good thread, advice, etc.!

Actually used it finally today for ripping an inch off of board. Much simpler than trying to clamp the board to a table and use a Skil saw.

I told my wife, before shipping the thing over, that it would be really essential to have, but it was hard for me to come up with examples, because it is often little things here and there (in this case, the floor for a cage for moving pigs) that it comes in handy to have such a tool.
bhurley
Gold Member

Post by bhurley »

Has anyone done comprehensive schematic on the wiring for this? I am going to make a stab at this but just don't follow the wiring very well.

Thank you in advance

Bob
Chin Up!

Got most all of them
Culprit
Gold Member

Post by Culprit »

For what it's worth, here's a link to my thread on reversing my A. O. Smith motor. The schematic I used is shown in post #1, along with a picture mapping points in the schematic to points in the picture of the motor. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=9548

There may be some useful information for you in this thread also:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=9417
1955 Greenie, modified to be reversible
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

bhurley wrote:Has anyone done comprehensive schematic on the wiring for this? I am going to make a stab at this but just don't follow the wiring very well.

Thank you in advance

Bob

I'll add it to this guide as soon as I can. I have 5 motors waiting for me to do this weekend though. FINALLY have some time off. 13 days in a row working is for the birds. I'm on the verge of writing my boss a novel...with a single finger :D
- 1986 Mark V 500 Mini

- 1985 Mark V 510 with reversible motor, bandsaw, jointer, and double-tilt.

I offer quality motor reversal, rebuilding, and rewiring. Contact me at HarbourTools@live.com
steve4447
Gold Member

Reversing with dpdt switch

Post by steve4447 »

Can you reverse the motor with just a double pole double throw switch?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

steve4447 wrote:Can you reverse the motor with just a double pole double throw switch?
Sure if you have wires connected properly inside to attach to the switch.

Unless you have added the 'extra' wires and modified internal connections, no.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
steve4447
Gold Member

Post by steve4447 »

JPG40504 wrote:Sure if you have wires connected properly inside to attach to the switch.

Unless you have added the 'extra' wires and modified internal connections, no.
I didn't think it through and ask my question clearly....

What I was trying to ask was....Rather than using two switches...Could i just use a switch with three positions...Perhaps one with off in the center and two double throw on positions ..one on each end wired to the appropriate leads for each rotation?

Thanks
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

steve4447 wrote:I didn't think it through and ask my question clearly....

What I was trying to ask was....Rather than using two switches...Could i just use a switch with three positions...Perhaps one with off in the center and two double throw on positions ..one on each end wired to the appropriate leads for each rotation?

Thanks

It could be done with a 3PDT(or 4PDT) center off switch.

However there be human factors to consider.

When turning it off, if one flipped the switch past the center off all the way to the far position, the motor will continue to run in the original direction.

The direction control is only effective with the motor stopped.

If one can live with that, goferit. I would not recommend it however. That said two separate switches are not a perfect solution either.

One other thing to consider with an "A" or "B" headstock. The wings beside the power switch are there so it protects the switch handle from inadvertent movement by bumping against the headstock. The top is open for easier access to turn it off. The bottom is closed to restrict access to turn it on.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

steve4447 wrote:I didn't think it through and ask my question clearly....

Thanks
On the headstocks I have reversed, I use a DPDT (On-On) reversing switch mounted on the back side of the motor pan. I feel it is less likely to be accidentally 'hit' on the back side. I use the extra switch because I do not want any more wiring than is necessary at the regular switch location for fear that there may be some interference with the quill going in and out.

Here is one of my 'extras' with the reversing switch mounted on the backside as I described. It will be on feebay later today.

Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com