Speed Reducer part

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Speed Reducer part

Post by wannabewoodworker »

So I sold my speed reducer on Ebay as I needed some extra money and it wasn't being used. I bought it used and it did not come with any couplers. So that is the way I sold it with pics to show what the buyer would receive. So now he is requesting that I send him a coupler? I am going to send him one of my couplers in the interest of keeping the peace but in the future I am gong to have be very precise and blunt about what is included in the sale of anything I guess. I have a 100% feedback rating that i have worked hard for and don't want someone messing that up due to a crummy coupler.....sheesh!

Anyway it also seems that the allen screw for the coupling to the headstock mysteriously went missing and I am being tapped to supply one of those as well. Does anyone know what size that allen head cap screw is so I can go to the local Lowes and grab one?
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The set screw listed is a 5/16-18 x1/4". My guess that is a flat point which means it will be hard to find in a big box store.... How are you at grinding? Cup point is most likely what you will find.

Ed
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

He isn't talking about the coupler that is inside the speed reducer?

Edit: I just looked up the auction and your pictures were more than enough :)

If he leaves you poor feedback, I'd dispute it with eBay. I actually saw a judge Judy where a guy won $5,000 for negative feedback!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reible wrote:The set screw listed is a 5/16-18 x1/4". My guess that is a flat point which means it will be hard to find in a big box store.... How are you at grinding? Cup point is most likely what you will find.

Ed

I have ground many cupped point set screws flat by using the sanding disk and the miter gauge and the ss tool kit(long 5/32" allen wrench).

Slip the set screw onto the straight end of the ss tool kit, align the ss tool kit to the miter gauge, then advance the quill/sanding disk into the pointy end of the set screw. Stop when cupped area is ground flat.

BTW since when is a 'coupler' used with the speed reducer normally mounted to the quill?

Using it to drive the band saw is not a 'normal' use of the speed reducer.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

JPG40504 wrote:

BTW since when is a 'coupler' used with the speed reducer normally mounted to the quill?

Using it to drive the band saw is not a 'normal' use of the speed reducer.
Not only that but a brand new one from SS does not come with a coupler.
Bill
----------------
Mark V 520 50th Anniversary Edition, Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

mountainbreeze wrote:Not only that but a brand new one from SS does not come with a coupler.

I would tell the guy that and to buy his own coupler! I also have a feeling that if you do send him the coupler and set screw...that won't be the last demand he makes. There will still be something wrong with something.

I'll buy a coupler and demand the seller include the belt sander it goes to :D
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

This is ridiculous! No mention of an 'included' coupler in either the e-bay or ss info. Neither is one inadvertently included in the e-bay pix.

Send 'it' a set screw and if negative feedback occurs, challenge it with e-bay.

FCS, he saved $100!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

By bizarre coincidence, I bought a Speed Reducer on eBay a couple days after wannabewoodworker sold his. And it came without the "Drive Hub", ShopSmith part # 503740. I suspect that this may be the part in question here -- the male hub that goes on the spindle -- not a female-female coupler. Same as the one identified below as the "belt sander drive hub". According to the manual, it is included with the speed reducer, and is required in order to use the reducer either in spindle-mount mode or band-saw drive mode.

[ATTACH]21342[/ATTACH]

So I emailed the seller and asked if he still had it. If not, no problem, SS sells them for $3.50. I just wasn't too excited about a potential backorder and/or large shipping charge from the mother ship.

When I first saw this thread, though, I thought that I was the "bad guy" customer in question. Whew! :o Turns out that my seller lives in a different part of the country.

BTW, the eBay listing of the one I bought showed only a stock SS photo of the speed reducer, so I was knowingly taking a risk on the goods. Turned out to be a nice one, though, and I got it for a good price. :)
Attachments
drive hubs.JPG
drive hubs.JPG (21.37 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

wannabewoodworker wrote:So I sold my speed reducer on Ebay as I needed some extra money and it wasn't being used. I bought it used and it did not come with any couplers. So that is the way I sold it with pics to show what the buyer would receive. So now he is requesting that I send him a coupler? I am going to send him one of my couplers in the interest of keeping the peace but in the future I am gong to have be very precise and blunt about what is included in the sale of anything I guess. I have a 100% feedback rating that i have worked hard for and don't want someone messing that up due to a crummy coupler.....sheesh!

Anyway it also seems that the allen screw for the coupling to the headstock mysteriously went missing and I am being tapped to supply one of those as well. Does anyone know what size that allen head cap screw is so I can go to the local Lowes and grab one?
The allen head cap screw is 10-24 x 1-12" long. There is also a lock washer that goes underneath the screw head.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

It appears we(some of us) were on the wrong page.

Seems the set screw is a retaining screw and the coupler is a hub.

Gotta agree if that is accurate, the buyer has a point!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝