The Ultimate Sawsmith Radial Arm Saw Thread

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

henry1088
Bronze Member

Re: The Ultimate Sawsmith Radial Arm Saw Thread

Post by henry1088 »

Thanks but I'll have to pass. This project had to be put on the back burner for a bit.
Jhcess19
Bronze Member

Post by Jhcess19 »

hello,

was wondering if someone could help me out and understand what I need to purchase and where I could purchase a molder and router attachments? and also the tools for them(the knives or bits). I am a new owner of this wonderful machine and wanted to get a few of the attachments.

I read I can get craftsman products but was hoping for help on what i should be looking for when I get them. I want to also get dado blades.

THanks for any help.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

For a SAWsmith?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

Post by stephen_a._draper »

Jhcess19 wrote:hello,

was wondering if someone could help me out and understand what I need to purchase and where I could purchase a molder and router attachments? and also the tools for them(the knives or bits). I am a new owner of this wonderful machine and wanted to get a few of the attachments.

I read I can get craftsman products but was hoping for help on what i should be looking for when I get them. I want to also get dado blades.

THanks for any help.
1. The molder and router attachments made by Shopsmith were designed for use on all the Shopsmith machines as well as the Sawsmith. The molder will mount directly on the shaft without any arbor. It is 556213 Shopsmith Molder Head ...    $98.70. Shopsmith has a complete selection of knives to use with it.

2. For routing you need to buy 514631 Router Chuck - 1/2" ...   $22.21 or 514632 Router Chuck - 1/4" ...   $22.21. Shopsmith also sells router bits for both 1/2" or 1/4" shank. I particularly like the router bits made by Bosch as well as Wisconsin Knife Works. I do not recommend buying Craftsman.

None of the other molder or router items from Shopsmith can be used on the Sawsmith such as the Safety Shield so don't buy any of their kits that include such items.

3. The CMT 6" carbide dado sold by Shopsmith is excellent and will work fine but any 5/8" arbor dado will work fine as long as your Sawsmith arbor nut is not missing. If it is then you will need to purchase a 5/8" arbor from Shopsmith.
Last edited by stephen_a._draper on Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jhcess19
Bronze Member

Post by Jhcess19 »

Yes for a sawsmith
Jhcess19
Bronze Member

Post by Jhcess19 »

stephen_a._draper wrote:
Jhcess19 wrote:hello,

THanks for any help.
1. The molder and router attachments made by Shopsmith were designed for use on all the Shopsmith machines as well as the Sawsmith. The molder will mount directly on the shaft without any arbor. It is 556213 Shopsmith Molder Head ...    $98.70. Shopsmith has a complete selection of knives to use with it.

2. For routing you need to buy 514631 Router Chuck - 1/2" ...   $22.21 or 514632 Router Chuck - 1/4" ...   $22.21. Shopsmith also sells router bits for both 1/2" or 1/4" shank. I particularly like the router bits made by Bosch as well as Wisconsin Knife Works. I do not recommend buying Craftsman.

None of the other molder or router items from Shopsmith can be used on the Sawsmith such as the Safety Shield so don't buy any of their kits that include such items.

3. The CMT 6" carbide dado sold by Shopsmith is excellent and will work fine but any 5/8" arbor dado will work fine as long as your Sawsmith arbor nut is not missing. If it is then you will need to purchase a 5/8" arbor from Shopsmith.
Thanks so much. I am pretty excited to get to work. For shaping, if I buy a bunch of bits will they work with this sawsmith? Or do I need to make sure of size of blades?
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

Post by stephen_a._draper »

For Shaping on the Sawsmith you will need to purchase a Shopsmith 1/2" arbor and then you can use any 1/2" shaper cutter. For shaping and routing you will run the Sawsmith at 6400 rpm. For sawing, dado, and molding you will run it at about 3400 rpm. The numbers on the dial tell you how many hundred rpm. Just make sure the motor is turned on when changing speeds. Do not turn the speed dial with the motor turned off.
bob84
Gold Member

Post by bob84 »

How do I oil the sheaves? I am unable to remove the belt assembly cover. It seems a ring with a hex key set screw is over the right output arbor shaft. Thanks
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

bob84 wrote:How do I oil the sheaves? I am unable to remove the belt assembly cover. It seems a ring with a hex key set screw is over the right output arbor shaft. Thanks
It sounds like there and arbor or some other accessory on the right shaft, loosen the set screw and remove that arbor/accessory. then remove the cover.
See the manual page 12. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/791/3287.pdf
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
bob84
Gold Member

Post by bob84 »

I am trying to oil the sheaves and thus need to remove the belt guard cover.
I can remove the four screws that hold the belt guard in place. However, a collar ring is held on by this hex set screw and not being able to get the hex set screw off the arbor prevents me from getting the belt guard cover off.
There is not enough clearance to get a hex key wrench into unscrew the hex set screw (see red arrow in the picture).
Anyone know what is the size of the hex set screw? Or what is the procedure to remove the hex set screw and belt guard cover. If I knew the size of the hex set screw I thought I would grind off an hex key wrench to the correct length to fit between the belt guard and into the collar.
Attachments
RAS belt cover 01.png
RAS belt cover 01.png (1.31 MiB) Viewed 12864 times