The Ultimate Sawsmith Radial Arm Saw Thread

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

delong94
Gold Member

Re: The Ultimate Sawsmith Radial Arm Saw Thread

Post by delong94 »

Was able to locate a set of arbor bolts for the saw. Fellow shop smith and saw smith owners are the best!
gavinthegregarious wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:58 pm
delong94 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:24 pm
heathicus wrote: Mon May 20, 2013 1:31 pm
Does anyone know what size the spindle and thread are? Thanks.
Did you ever get an answer on this. The threads are 5/8-11 UNC but normal 5/8-11 attachments are not fitting. I think the threads on the arbor are extra long/tall which is preventing the normal 5/8-11 nuts and attachments from fitting. I'm not sure though. I really want to get a sanding disc on there.
Thanks for the reply. I have not checked the thread in a while. I did find out that they are 5/8-11... I tried to use a dewalt LH thread nut, but it only goes on half way. I think you are correct in that the arbor threads are extra tall... Need to find an exact replacement. You should be able to mount a regular sanding disk on the sawsmith arbor. it will lock with the locking screw onto the flat part of the arbor.
Last edited by delong94 on Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Thread interference can take place three ways. Pitch deviation is not relevant to this discussion.
The two that are involve the screw clearance between the male and female parts. Both involve the thread 'peak' mating with the mating thread 'valley'. A high peak or a shallow valley creates the interference.

A possible solution requires re threading the parts(a tap or a die). Rust can build up in the valleys so rethreading with a tap MAY 'fix' it. Rust may cause the peak profile to become 'fat' and cause interference so rethreading with a die MAY 'fix' that.

In this case however the SS shaft threads MAY be fatter than typical since it is also an arbor shaft and needs to maintain that 5/8: od. That would require a 'special' threaded nut that has deeper valleys and possibly shorter peaks(like an acme thread peak).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mlwass
Bronze Member

Post by mlwass »

The motor on my 1963 Yuba Saw Smith just burned out and I am not going to spend the $350 to get new windings. I doubt that I can get a replacement motor to fit. If anyone knows a good solution to the motor, please send a reply.
So this is saw is either FOR SALE, or if this website returns a number of requests for parts, I will SELL PARTS for the rest of you to carry on. This machine made almost all the wood furniture In our homes for two generations. It is in good shape with all the parts, lots of blades, some new, good Jacobs chuck, etc.
I am in Dallas Texas. Please contact me by reply if you want to purchase the whole thing or parts. The coil wire in the arm is in good shape, original wood table is in fine shape, as we always kept a 1/4 inch plywood cover nailed on top to do work.
mlwass
delong94
Gold Member

Post by delong94 »

JPG wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:04 pm Thread interference can take place three ways. Pitch deviation is not relevant to this discussion.
The two that are involve the screw clearance between the male and female parts. Both involve the thread 'peak' mating with the mating thread 'valley'. A high peak or a shallow valley creates the interference.

A possible solution requires re threading the parts(a tap or a die). Rust can build up in the valleys so rethreading with a tap MAY 'fix' it. Rust may cause the peak profile to become 'fat' and cause interference so rethreading with a die MAY 'fix' that.

In this case however the SS shaft threads MAY be fatter than typical since it is also an arbor shaft and needs to maintain that 5/8: od. That would require a 'special' threaded nut that has deeper valleys and possibly shorter peaks(like an acme thread peak).
Was able to locate a set of arbor bolts for the saw. Fellow shop smith and saw smith owners are the best!
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I'm hoping to get a look at a Yuba Sawsmith RAS just a few miles away. Seller is asking $250, I'm hoping to pay less, but it's advertised with this statement:

"Yuba Saw Smith Radial Arm Saw. Condition is "New". This is a collectors saw or a work horse. This is a barn find. The saw has never been used. Comes with original tag to mail back into Yuba"

eBay ad here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/313573602090?ul_noapp=true

Any opinions on what this is worth if it's actually in 'new' condition?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

For starters it ain't in "new" condition. It is a restore project. Maybe not used, but not stored well either.

I would not pay more than $150 for it and I would like to have one.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I made an offer of $150, mainly just to send him a message telling him I wanted to see it. I am skeptical about the condition. My wife looked on Facebook and saw them advertised for prices from under $100 to over $1000. I need to see it and give it a chance to tell me about it's condition.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
delong94
Gold Member

Post by delong94 »

edma194 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:49 pm I made an offer of $150, mainly just to send him a message telling him I wanted to see it. I am skeptical about the condition. My wife looked on Facebook and saw them advertised for prices from under $100 to over $1000. I need to see it and give it a chance to tell me about it's condition.
In March, I got my saw for $75 and it was not working. It needed a new capacitor and did not have the 5/8 inch arbor nuts on it. The arbor spindle is 5/8 inch like the shopsmith and the normal arbor takes blades that have a 1.25 inch hole. I would read the area in this thread about selecting blades for this saw too. Also check to see if the switch keys are there. There is a lock on top of the saw. Hope this helps. I am still working on mine, but the motor fired up with a new capacitor and lubrication to the sheeve (like a shopsmith).
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

delong94 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:27 pm
In March, I got my saw for $75 and it was not working. It needed a new capacitor and did not have the 5/8 inch arbor nuts on it. The arbor spindle is 5/8 inch like the shopsmith and the normal arbor takes blades that have a 1.25 inch hole. I would read the area in this thread about selecting blades for this saw too. Also check to see if the switch keys are there. There is a lock on top of the saw. Hope this helps. I am still working on mine, but the motor fired up with a new capacitor and lubrication to the sheeve (like a shopsmith).
Thanks for the advice. I should be able to see this machine soon. The condition is critical, if it's missing important parts or the motor isn't working I see significant cost to make this usable. Since I wouldn't use a RAS that often I don't know if it would be worth it. I'm not sure if my offer was accepted just so he could tell me where he lives, apparently ebay has a rule against sharing addresses and phone numbers without an accepted offer. If he wants more for it then I'll probably have to pass based on JPG's suggestion that it's only worth $150. I'll take a look at it and get the low down.
Ed from Rhode Island

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

This machine is mine now. The story is that it was never used and the indications are pretty good that is correct. No cuts in the table, no sawdust anywhere. Mild corrosion on the cabinet and post. Plenty of grease on where it mounts to the post. The motor turned right on and the speed control works. The keys were in the lock. Everything else seems functional, has the original blade mounted on the left. Does not have the right side arbor nut but does have the rubber cap. Finding a nut for the right side doesn't seem like it will be a problem. The tabletop needs replacing, probably use some MDF I already have for that. Have to do some other things over the weekend but will take some pictures before long to post.
Ed from Rhode Island