Mark VII

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

lwmccord
Gold Member

Re: Mark VII

Post by lwmccord »

I am sorry that I had you confused. Thanks, Larry McCord
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

lwmccord wrote:I am sorry that I had you confused. Thanks, Larry McCord

That's OK! A lot of folks think I am confused! :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
lwmccord
Gold Member

Post by lwmccord »

You have made some terrific finds. You mentioned that you had hyst overpaid for a plastic cam, and now have a metal one. Would you sell the plastic?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

lwmccord wrote:You have made some terrific finds. You mentioned that you had hyst overpaid for a plastic cam, and now have a metal one. Would you sell the plastic?
NOW I am confused! If it was me, where?????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
stdavis
Bronze Member

Post by stdavis »

Does anyone know where I can get one of those metal speed controls for my Mark VII?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

stdavis wrote:Does anyone know where I can get one of those metal speed controls for my Mark VII?
Another member had some made. AIUI he does not have any more. They were $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Another member has 'printed' some with a 3d printer.

If he chooses, he may add to this thread.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

stdavis
Bronze Member

Post by stdavis »

Thanks JPG. I have a 1956 Mark V owned previously by uncles from each side of my family and also a 1966 Mark VII purchased new by my dad in 1966 when the 3/4 horse motor in his Mark V went out in the middle of building our house. I've been using the Mark VII for 50 years now. Rebuilt it myself (new bearings and all) about 20 years ago. Been through three of the plastic speed controls. Forced to using mostly the Mark V these days due to the current plastic mess in the Mark VII. I was a sheet metal worker for 35 years. I guess I'll just have to hunker down and fabricate a speed control here myself. Thanks again!!! Happy shopsmith sawdust times to all!!!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

stdavis wrote:Thanks JPG. I have a 1956 Mark V owned previously by uncles from each side of my family and also a 1966 Mark VII purchased new by my dad in 1966 when the 3/4 horse motor in his Mark V went out in the middle of building our house. I've been using the Mark VII for 50 years now. Rebuilt it myself (new bearings and all) about 20 years ago. Been through three of the plastic speed controls. Forced to using mostly the Mark V these days due to the current plastic mess in the Mark VII. I was a sheet metal worker for 35 years. I guess I'll just have to hunker down and fabricate a speed control here myself. Thanks again!!! Happy shopsmith sawdust times to all!!!
I sincerely hope that sufficient lubrication of the cam follower bearing would have prevented the three cams from getting damaged.

Did you use it for extended periods of time?(run continuously between power down).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

stdavis
Bronze Member

Post by stdavis »

JPG. The Mark VII has done a lot of work in its lifetime. I am one who is kind to my machines. I've always kept the shafts for the sliding pulley shives properly lubricated ( quite anal about that actually). I always turn the machine off after completing each operation. And yes I do know to lower to the lowest speed prior to shut down. This avoids a lot of stress on the machine during restarting. The bearing that holds the yoke that contacts the speed cam has been a major contributor to the heat problem. I purchase high quality bearings but have had some failure rate in that position. Thanks for your interest!!! :-)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

My 'interest' comes from my intent to use a restored Mark VII in the near future. It will become the work horse as older SS are also refurbished.

I am particularly concerned re the cam as I will be using a 3D printed one.

I am curious if the bearing heating was at higher speeds(low rise portion of the cam). Did the 'button' melt through the cam surface there?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝