spray paint match for repainting a "greenie"

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hawaii five-0
Silver Member

spray paint match for repainting a "greenie"

Post by hawaii five-0 »

My friend and I are restoring a "Greenie" and it will get a full repaint. I have seen that Shopsmith has "touch up" paint, but it's pretty spendy at $11.00 per can plus shipping.Do you guys know what color spray paint will match at my local hardware stores? Maybe a name, code, or part #? I saw a tread where a guy brushed it on, but was hoping to spray. Thanks in advance.
beeg
Platinum Member

Re: spray paint match for repainting a "greenie"

Post by beeg »

I believe that you want Verde Green. BUT you may have to buy a case of 6 to get it.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
DMcCam
Silver Member

Post by DMcCam »

Howdy, Here's a link to HD's website: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-S ... /202058746

I'm also hoping to add the final touch one day to my Greenie too. You'd have to try it to be sure but it does look pretty close to my old '55. What is the closest match to the gray for these old gems?
Dave
Reno, NV
Mark 5 "Greenie" SN 290470, Born March '55, Acquired April '11
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

I bought mine at Lowes, and could buy one at a time.
Attachments
Verde Green.PNG
Verde Green.PNG (70.59 KiB) Viewed 7996 times
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
hawaii five-0
Silver Member

Post by hawaii five-0 »

Thanks for the replies
hawaii five-0
Silver Member

Post by hawaii five-0 »

How about the grey paint?
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Rust-Oleum 12-oz Silver Spray Paint
Attachments
Silver.PNG
Silver.PNG (200.89 KiB) Viewed 7963 times
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

hawaii five-0 wrote:My friend and I are restoring a "Greenie" and it will get a full repaint. I have seen that Shopsmith has "touch up" paint, but it's pretty spendy at $11.00 per can plus shipping.Do you guys know what color spray paint will match at my local hardware stores? Maybe a name, code, or part #? I saw a tread where a guy brushed it on, but was hoping to spray. Thanks in advance.

Has anyone here used the Shopsmith Spray Paint for a Greenie?
522842 Light Green
522843 Dark Green

The Headstock Picture for the Goldie looks right for the paint they sell.
the Headstock Picture for the Greenie looks more blue and silver on my screen.

I am seeking to restore a Greenie and it's companion Band Saw and need to repaint both to original color.

I searched within the numerous other 'paint' postings but haven't found anything beyond the Rustoleum Verde Green with much a following.

What I have seen in old machines so far (with very aged paint) looks more like the 1950 Chevrolet Mist Green color.

I am not trying to start a what color is the dress sort of thing here, but I really would like to know if someone has used these two and could post some pictures of how they turned out - blue or green.

I also wondered if someone had used the Rustolem NeverWet inside a Band saw to help sawdust from sticking so badly on the ribbed reinforcements.

Thanks for any comments, photos.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

everettdavis wrote: . . .

Has anyone here used the Shopsmith Spray Paint for a Greenie?
522842 Light Green
522843 Dark Green

The Headstock Picture for the Goldie looks right for the paint they sell.
the Headstock Picture for the Greenie looks more blue and silver on my screen.

I am seeking to restore a Greenie and it's companion Band Saw and need to repaint both to original color.

I searched within the numerous other 'paint' postings but haven't found anything beyond the Rustoleum Verde Green with much a following.

What I have seen in old machines so far (with very aged paint) looks more like the 1950 Chevrolet Mist Green color.

I am not trying to start a what color is the dress sort of thing here, but I really would like to know if someone has used these two and could post some pictures of how they turned out - blue or green.

I also wondered if someone had used the Rustolem NeverWet inside a Band saw to help sawdust from sticking so badly on the ribbed reinforcements.

Thanks for any comments, photos.
No, but I have covered the 'cubbies' with butcher paper. It has been suggested to fill them with foam insulation from an aerosol can. That might make it quieter as well.

Realize the original paint was indeed very close to the hammered appearance although the colors are not 'exact'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
joefitz
Silver Member

Post by joefitz »

I haven't repainted my old greenie yet either and am curious about the home depot / lowes color versus the one sold by shopsmith. I'm also curious as to why Shopsmith isn't selling hammertone texture paint.