bandsaw worklight?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pgf
Silver Member

bandsaw worklight?

Post by pgf »

does anyone have a worklight on their bandsaw that they'd like to recommend?

i'm picturing something fairly low wattage, probably on a gooseneck. not sure where i'd mount it, though for the right setup i think i'd be willing to drill into the casting for mounting screws. something with a powerful enough magnetic base might stay put on the steel tensioner pivot where it's exposed in back.

my bandsaw is mounted standalone on a home-made power stand, so lights that need to be attached to a headstock, say, might not work for me.

paul
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: bandsaw worklight?

Post by JPG »

I like magnetic based lamps. Steel plates may be attached/glued/whatever to non-steel surfaces.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
pgf
Silver Member

Post by pgf »

JPG wrote: Steel plates may be attached... to non-steel surfaces.
Doh! thanks for stating the obvious. :-)
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I have this one - http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... ylight.htm - and it works wonderfully. Now that it's been used for a while, can't get along without it.

BTW I also use it on my router table.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

I suggest that you use a CFL or a LED light. Incandescent bulb wood be effected by vibrations.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This is my favorite light as of now:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... =9&t=14336

I'm liking it so well I'm planning on getting a second one for in the house.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
pgf
Silver Member

Post by pgf »

reible wrote: This is my favorite light as of now:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... =9&t=14336

I'm liking it so well I'm planning on getting a second one for in the house.
ooh -- that is a nice one. thanks. i have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Ikea-201-696-58-J ... B0055IVM1I
on my workbench for occasional spot lighting. yours with the battery power might be more useful sometimes.

has anyone tried one of these, from HF? http://www.harborfreight.com/10-led-t-light-98427.html
kablerj
Gold Member

Post by kablerj »

charlese wrote:I have this one - http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... ylight.htm - and it works wonderfully. Now that it's been used for a while, can't get along without it.

BTW I also use it on my router table.
I have this same light for my DP and scroll Saw. They do the trick.

I wish the SS head stocks had an AC outlet.

Jim
Hello from Somerset in the beautiful Pennsylvania Laurel Highlands.

Mark 7, Mark VII, Mark V 520, Mark V 510 x 2, Mark V 500
SPT's - Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, strip sander, Oscillating Sander, Speed Increaser
SS Freestanding - Pro Planer, Scroll Saw, Overarm Pin Router, Power Station, DC3000 x 2
Made for SS - Incra iBox, Ring Master

"Honest dear, I can quit any time I want."
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

If you really want one, you can do it yourself. The hardest part would be to tap into the power cord and leave enough physical space to tuck it into the case.

I think you'd have to mount the outlet on the outside of the motor case, down low enough to miss the parts of the machine with the screw heads.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

I just received this a few days ago (on sale at Peachtree).
Stock photo from Peachtree
Stock photo from Peachtree
4054_magnify_light_300.jpg (71.01 KiB) Viewed 3211 times
The only place I have tried the light is around the kitchen and it is okay but nothing spectacular. I bought it mainly for the magnifying glass. (5X) Scroll saw and band saw.

The clamp attachment is fine (not shown in this picture), however when not using the clamp, the magnets seem less than good when used on a vertical surface, which is odd because when using the clamp, the magnets are very strong no matter what angle :confused:. Maybe it is the thickness of the steel used on the clamp.

I do like that it is either battery (2 AAA) or plug in (included).

I find that a magnified image is needed as well as a brighter one :rolleyes: . Can't be old age so it must be the weather!! :D

Anyway, not sure if this one of the directions you were looking. I do think Ed's (reible's) light is significantly brighter for about the same price.

Be well,
Ben