What Year is this Shopsmith

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

PhxTrade
Bronze Member

What Year is this Shopsmith

Post by PhxTrade »

I aquired this ShopSmith from a friend and have no idea what year it is. I started to refurbish it but have no idea what manuals etc I need. Anyone have an idea. Attached is a picture of the plate with number on it, but that number does not show on the shopsmith list.

Semper Fi
Ted
Attachments
Identifying Plate on Shop Smith
Identifying Plate on Shop Smith
ShopSmith Plate.jpg (168.28 KiB) Viewed 3453 times
View
View
View.jpg (170.43 KiB) Viewed 3453 times
Logo
Logo
ShopSmith Logo.jpg (182.28 KiB) Viewed 3453 times
billmayo
Platinum Member

Re: What Year is this Shopsmith

Post by billmayo »

You have a Shopsmith clone. Someone adapted the Shopsmith speed control assembly to fit. I can tell by the name plate and square bottom pan on the belt housing. You have smaller tubes (1.675"), steel tables and a double bearing quill. The miter gauge slots are a different size, same as table saws. A Shopsmith headstock will lock down on these tubes. You must over oil these clones compared to the Shopsmith. Many drops of oil in the control sheave with speed set to FAST. Oil the motor floating sheave when in the drill press position. Too little or no oil can cause the speed control assembly legs to break off, not bend like the Shopsmith. No internal metal Shopsmith parts will fit in this headstock. The internal clone headstock parts are longer and different sizes from the Shopsmith. I have most clone parts available except for the speed control assemblies. If you ever remove the speed control assembly, I would appreciate pictures of the speed control assembly to see how it was adapted. Thanks.
PhxTrade
Bronze Member

Post by PhxTrade »

Thank You so much for the Information.
Wow, This is terrible in ways...LOL
Yes turning the dial it starts to get real tight to turn.....
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

PhxTrade wrote:Thank You so much for the Information.
Wow, This is terrible in ways...LOL
Yes turning the dial it starts to get real tight to turn.....
Same is true of the 'original' SS. Do NOT adjust the knob without the pulleys rotating.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
PhxTrade
Bronze Member

Post by PhxTrade »

Thank You, I did not know that.... So needs to be on to adjust the dial so as not to damage the mechanism.

Thank you for the information

Semper Fi
Ted W
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

PhxTrade wrote:Thank You, I did not know that.... So needs to be on to adjust the dial so as not to damage the mechanism.

Thank you for the information

Semper Fi
Ted W
No, it does not have to be on. The drive shafts need to be turning. This can be done most easily by mounting a sanding disk (or a blade) and using it to turn the shaft while changing the speed dial.

Blade is not recommended but can be used.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.