Shopsmith Clone Jointer Repair (Shopsmith Parts?)

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

PhxTrade
Bronze Member

Shopsmith Clone Jointer Repair (Shopsmith Parts?)

Post by PhxTrade »

I just found out on this forum the shopsmith I was given is actually a clone of shopsmith. Wow... Well wondering sinch a clone of Shopsmith if the shopsmith jointer repair parts online will work with this. So I can replace with some shopsmith parts to get it running properly.

Semper Fi

Ted W

P.S. How the heck do you get the drum out of the jointer to clean it?
Attachments
Jointer Drum Removal
Jointer Drum Removal
Jointer Drum Removal.jpg (161.84 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Clone Jointer Repair (Shopsmith Parts?)

Post by JPG »

I think a clue is the two holes directly under the shaft. There is likely a screw there that holds the 'bearings?' in the casting. By backing them out,it MAY be possible to slide the head towards the drive shaft end and rock the far end in and up and out.

Unknown is what is actually in those holes and what lies underneath.

You be exploring unknown territory(unless Bill Mayo chimes in here).

Rust will be a problem as parts will not slide against each other easily.

We can discuss the blades/wedges etc. after it gets out and is 'derusted'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

I have only seen bolts in the holes, even on the clone 6" joiner. The cutter head comes out through the top (table side) hole.
PhxTrade
Bronze Member

Post by PhxTrade »

Thank You, will pull out this weekend and I hope will be able to purchase shopsmith parts to replace the blades with.

Thnaks for the support
PhxTrade
Bronze Member

Post by PhxTrade »

Ok, the drum moves freely and not clamped down after removing thw screws that held the brackets and the drum in place.Problem encountering now is the whole assembly does not seem to be able to clear the end edges where the once bolted down brackets were when trying to pull it out, even if trying to lift from end without shaft to angle the drum out so end with shaft can be pulled out. Do I need to remove all the blades and the clamps holding the blades to get the rest of the drum out (First?). Seems the 2 end pieces after they have been unscrewed do not allow enough clearence to pull out since the shaft sticks so far out and does not allow enough of a rise to get a bracket clear of planner side..

Semper Fi

Ted W
Attachments
Drum Removal.jpg
Drum Removal.jpg (186.85 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

DIFFIDENTLY take the knives out.
Last edited by beeg on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You have reached the point I alluded to a few posts back. I think the bearings need to slide towards the cutter so the blocks clear.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange