Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

LR1231
Gold Member

Re: Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited

Post by LR1231 »

everettdavis wrote:Update on 1960’s Mark VII 4th motor style.
User n240sxle91 started the following thread which has provided the updated information: https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 55#p219255 titled “Is my Mark VII motor/switch wiring correct?”
In it we finally have an example of the Mark VII with a G.E. Motor with an External Start Switch. With James Grange Sr.’s (JPG’s) Mark VII insight and help, I have added the 4th motor type wiring diagram to the thread above.

Also, if you go to the first post in this thread, https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 90#p185690 and follow the link to My Google Drive, you will find the larger PDF of the drawing has been added there, to accompany the other three types of motors and find the restored Mark VII Owner’s Manual I restored last year with great help and proof reading by JPG.
Here’s that recently documented G.E. Motor for the Mark VII with External Motor Start Relay.

Everett
50XXXX GE Motor - Shopsmith Mark VII with External Motor Start Relay.png
There you go again.... sharing knowledge and doing something for others. If I remember correctly you said you don't own a Mark VII yet. Incredible.

Lewis
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited

Post by JPG »

LR1231 wrote:
everettdavis wrote:Update on 1960’s Mark VII 4th motor style.
User n240sxle91 started the following thread which has provided the updated information: https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 55#p219255 titled “Is my Mark VII motor/switch wiring correct?”
In it we finally have an example of the Mark VII with a G.E. Motor with an External Start Switch. With James Grange Sr.’s (JPG’s) Mark VII insight and help, I have added the 4th motor type wiring diagram to the thread above.

Also, if you go to the first post in this thread, https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 90#p185690 and follow the link to My Google Drive, you will find the larger PDF of the drawing has been added there, to accompany the other three types of motors and find the restored Mark VII Owner’s Manual I restored last year with great help and proof reading by JPG.
Here’s that recently documented G.E. Motor for the Mark VII with External Motor Start Relay.

Everett
50XXXX GE Motor - Shopsmith Mark VII with External Motor Start Relay.png
There you go again.... sharing knowledge and doing something for others. If I remember correctly you said you don't own a Mark VII yet. Incredible.

Lewis
He does not do what he does for himself, but rather for 'us'.

He also does it VERY well!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
LR1231
Gold Member

Re: Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited - Illustrations & More

Post by LR1231 »

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to see your post JPG. You are of course right. He does that for others.

I have to put my Shopsmith ambitions on hold for now. My unit is getting deployed and I am leaving my present home away from home.

I will pigeon hole some savings and have a better chance finding a really nice unit I can restore to service when I return.

Lewis
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

To where are you being deployed? What branch of service?
Thank You - All Veterans.jpg
Thank You - All Veterans.jpg (124.67 KiB) Viewed 27441 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
LR1231
Gold Member

Post by LR1231 »

Dusty, I am USAF.

We do not disclose our deployments in compliance with orders, and severely consider what we say and don't say on social media.

In my grand dads day he would simply say loose lips sink ships.

One does not have to wear a uniform to be a patriot though. We have American patriots all over the world, and believe me it is we who thank you.

Lewis
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Ron Dyck recently contacted me when he noted an area that he thought needed clarification in the MAGNA 10ER Owner’s Guide v1.01 that I restored last year.

He noted that in Fig. 27 the Spindle and Quill assembly is labelled 102 200

However on Page 20 the Spindle and Quill assembly is listed as part number 102 310

As we have discussed in posts previously, I took the best quality OEM manual copies and illustrations to restore the 10ER Owner’s Guide for folks, using subjectively what I considered the best of the best material.

I have attached side by side images from two separate (and there are indeed more) 10ER OEM manuals to illustrate how MAGNA labeled the originals in the later 10ER 35 TMG-4371A 3470A publication opposed to an earlier 10ER 25 TMG-4371A 3470A Owner's Guide.

The Drawings are identical in the Spindle area in each version, however the part numbers descriptions on the later release reflects the number for the "Spindle and Quill" 102 310, and the part number in the earlier reflects the number for the "Quill" 102 310.

My revised drawing also attached reflects 102 200 which is the part number for the Spindle 102 200 component of the Quill Assembly, as did the illustration from the later OEM manual.

Other releases that I examined that were not suitable as the illustration I chose to use, where the item actually singularly indicated "Spindle" which corresponded to 102 200.

The Parts List of Assemblies I felt was suitably descriptive since that section of the list contained only Assemblies, since we are dealing with a machine made in the late 1940's through early 1950's, the part numbers themselves are not active part numbers that can be ordered anywhere today anyway.

Should I create a new release of MAGNA 10ER Owner’s Guide v1.02?

If so, how should I annotate it? I am tempted to list the Assembly Part number below the 102 200 and state (assembly), but if I do that, what about all the other ‘assemblies’ that I did not annotate that way?

Thoughts?

Everett
Pending Error Correction in 10ER Manual.png
Pending Error Correction in 10ER Manual.png (869.43 KiB) Viewed 26794 times
Fig 27 As Revised.png
Fig 27 As Revised.png (893.21 KiB) Viewed 26794 times
Last edited by everettdavis on Thu May 25, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IMHO the inclusion of what you said in the post as a note to the manual already completed would be sufficient.

As far as I am concerned you have done quite enough(gross understatement) already. It is unreasonable to expect you to chase down all 'differences' between varying versions of 'the manual'.

And yes the part numbers are essentially moot unless referring to the same 'version'.

Kudos for even being concerned about this.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

What's in the works for my next publication here some have asked privately.

Here is a new project teaser, and like the "Buying a used Shopsmith v2.pdf" that started this thread, it will include significant hot-links to posts within the Shopsmith Forums as well as significant additional information, and a fully functional Table of Contents.

Just be patient. I am scheduled heavily throughout the Summer at work, with classes I must either attend or assist in teaching.

I will be working on it. I am still working on the 10E Preliminary Operators Manual restoration project enabled by John Burger, but since the restored 10E and 10ER manuals I previously published last year, I am working on that project on the side.

I think you will like the new project as well. Here's the cover page:

Everett
Rust Cover Sheet reduced size.jpg
Rust Cover Sheet reduced size.jpg (707.86 KiB) Viewed 26344 times
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I have finished the document Got Rust? Want it Gone? and due to the size it exceeds Shopsmith's attachment limit.

You will find it under the link for My Google Drive at http://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic ... 90#p185690 which is on the first post in this thread.

Within the Got Rust? Want it Gone? PDF there are photos from various threads hot-linked back to the thread in which they originated, discussions of a variety of products and processes, and a number of links to videos showing the process being used.

I hope you find it helpful in your battle with rust.

Everett
videobear
Gold Member

Post by videobear »

Not seeing the PDF on rust, Everett...either directly in the thread starter post or at your Google Drive folder.

EDIT: Never mind, I see it now! Thanks for all this info!