Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

LR1231
Gold Member

Re: Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited

Post by LR1231 »

I have been looking for a while and have studied the pdf made on buying a used unit and have been looking for one nearby in a price range I can afford.

I found one for sale about 80 miles away but the guy says it is a Mark II made for Montgomery Ward. The pdf said if I am reading it right that this model wasn't made to the same standards as some of the others.

Is this something I should even consider getting? It has a good bit of rust and is missing a few minor parts according to the seller.

What do folks here think?
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

Post by stephen_a._draper »

The Mark II is not worth your time. Parts cannot be found and it only has a 3/4 HP motor. See this link:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/mark2.htm
richardrouse
Gold Member

Post by richardrouse »

I dont know where you are looking, but in central florida there are several Mark V's in various states of repair on CL. If you look around, you can pick up an older one for 100 bucks or so.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A mark 2 is 'useful', but, not very good in addition to what has already been stated.

Not a good starter IMHO. OK as an addition for smaller work(think drill press). The motor can be whatever you want to mount to it(similar to a '10'?).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
LR1231
Gold Member

Post by LR1231 »

Thanks everyone.

It doesn't sound like a starter machine for me.

I have some leave coming, so I may just plan a cross country trip and try to find some Craigslist finds along the way and see what I can find.

I will keep hanging out here and reading the forums.

There is so much stuff here it can be hard to plow through at times. No complaints though, I appreciate everything I am finding.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

In spite of it being a Mark 2, the one in Minneapolis for $80 that includes a bandsaw and jointer is indeed a 'starter'.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 41#p195641
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

Lol that one is 10 minutes from my work, but can't imagine a third in my garage, but even for a short bandsaw it would be cool. I have enough tools to restore at the moment... Still 80 bucks... Eh I'll leave it for a new shopsmith addict to be...
-Beave
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Beave2012 wrote:Lol that one is 10 minutes from my work, but can't imagine a third in my garage, but even for a short bandsaw it would be cool. I have enough tools to restore at the moment... Still 80 bucks... Eh I'll leave it for a new shopsmith addict to be...
$80 for a bandsaw AND a jointer that both will mount on my ERs?

Wish this was closer to me!

That MkII might make a decent sanding/sharpening rig.

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
LR1231
Gold Member

Post by LR1231 »

skou wrote:
Beave2012 wrote:Lol that one is 10 minutes from my work, but can't imagine a third in my garage, but even for a short bandsaw it would be cool. I have enough tools to restore at the moment... Still 80 bucks... Eh I'll leave it for a new shopsmith addict to be...
$80 for a bandsaw AND a jointer that both will mount on my ERs?

Wish this was closer to me!

That MkII might make a decent sanding/sharpening rig.

steve
I tried to retrieve that and look at it, but it said:

This posting has been deleted by its author.

(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)

I am stationed too far away from Minneapolis to make that viable, and before you ask, these days the orders are not to say where we are stationed or even travelling due to targeting threats from some of the unstable ones out there.

I would have liked to have read the add for it though. I might could have used it as leverage. The rusted one 80 miles away is just a Mark II, with no accessories like a bandsaw or jointer, even missing a few small parts he said, and his asking price was just reduced to 350.

Way too much for that model I now understand. If I read him right, I think he bought it not knowing its value and though he had a diamond in the rough. Thanks.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I just created an updated documentation of Bill Mayo’s – Speed Control Repair and upgrade information from a Shopsmith Wiki with larger photos with captioning and some updated information from Bill that includes his latest recommendations including the updates for the Eccentric Bushing that he now includes with his kit.

JPG recently provided a link to a Shopsmith Wiki for ‘carbonman’ who is a new member servicing his speed control. It is such a common and important service issue for folks, I created an updated PDF of it with the best quality original photos I could locate and stuck it here to help find it and make it more legible. I linked it to http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 90#p185690