Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderator: admin

User avatar
everettdavis
Platinum Member
Posts: 2152
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:49 am
Location: Lubbock, TX

Re: Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited

Post by everettdavis »

Robert,

I added the Headstock Drawing in another post to this as you requested.

Have a safe and happy 4th everyone. 04 Jul 2015

Everett
User avatar
jsburger
Platinum Member
Posts: 5706
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:06 pm
Location: Hooper, UT

Re: Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited

Post by jsburger »

everettdavis wrote:
skou wrote:Just a touch-up.

The "first" commercially available Shopsmith was the
10 E, not the 10 ER. As was mentioned, the ER was a
Revised version. The E model was the first. (Which, since it
wasn't the 10 or 10 A, may have been the 5th or 6th version,
but the first version sold.)

steve
You are absolutely correct Steve, the very first model was the 10E and that's what Hans sold first through Montgomery Ward that got them started so many years ago.

In the revised document I cited the unmodified text of the original document presumed written by Nick Engler in the section titled A Little History. I believe that is the text you reference. I tried very diligently to leave his text as unmodified as possible.

I have attached a Vintage Machinery link to download the Montgomery Wards Operator Manual from that 1947 period submitted by a Dan Boschen, and as I reviewed it I didn't specifically find 10E/10ER references in it, which would make sense for a 10E manual since 10ER didn't yet exist.

Vintage Machinery cites it as a 10E owners guide and it is over 5 MB and too large to download and attach here in the forums I suspect. As a 10E / 10ER Guru I am sure you have had it for years. For those who might be interested in having it you may download it from

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=2694

Thanks Steve! :)
If anyone is interested I have an original copy of the "Owners Manual" that was shipped with the very first 10Es. It says on the front page that Shopsmith is preparing an "Owner's Guide and Instruction Book" but in the mean time use these pages and that they will send you the complete guide when it is available.

I can scan it in and send it to those that would like a copy. It is 17 single sided pages so I suspect it will be too large to upload here.


Actually it is 23 pages.
Last edited by jsburger on Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
User avatar
everettdavis
Platinum Member
Posts: 2152
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:49 am
Location: Lubbock, TX

Re: Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited

Post by everettdavis »

I would like a copy. I will PM you my email address
User avatar
JPG
Platinum Member
Posts: 32597
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky (WILDCAT territory)

Re: Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited

Post by JPG »

everettdavis wrote:I would like a copy. I will PM you my email address
Me Too. You should have my e-mail address.
I may already have it, but cannot locate it!@!!! :(
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
User avatar
jsburger
Platinum Member
Posts: 5706
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:06 pm
Location: Hooper, UT

Re: Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited

Post by jsburger »

jsburger wrote:
everettdavis wrote:
skou wrote:Just a touch-up.

The "first" commercially available Shopsmith was the
10 E, not the 10 ER. As was mentioned, the ER was a
Revised version. The E model was the first. (Which, since it
wasn't the 10 or 10 A, may have been the 5th or 6th version,
but the first version sold.)

steve
You are absolutely correct Steve, the very first model was the 10E and that's what Hans sold first through Montgomery Ward that got them started so many years ago.

In the revised document I cited the unmodified text of the original document presumed written by Nick Engler in the section titled A Little History. I believe that is the text you reference. I tried very diligently to leave his text as unmodified as possible.

I have attached a Vintage Machinery link to download the Montgomery Wards Operator Manual from that 1947 period submitted by a Dan Boschen, and as I reviewed it I didn't specifically find 10E/10ER references in it, which would make sense for a 10E manual since 10ER didn't yet exist.

Vintage Machinery cites it as a 10E owners guide and it is over 5 MB and too large to download and attach here in the forums I suspect. As a 10E / 10ER Guru I am sure you have had it for years. For those who might be interested in having it you may download it from

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=2694

Thanks Steve! :)
If anyone is interested I have an original copy of the "Owners Manual" that was shipped with the very first 10Es. It says on the front page that Shopsmith is preparing an "Owner's Guide and Instruction Book" but in the mean time use these pages and that they will send you the complete guide when it is available.

I can scan it in and send it to those that would like a copy. It is 17 single sided pages so I suspect it will be too large to upload here.


Actually it is 23 pages.

I have uploaded a copy to Vintagemachinery.org since even the compressed PDF is too large to upload here.

The direct link is...

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=8465
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
User avatar
JPG
Platinum Member
Posts: 32597
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky (WILDCAT territory)

Re: Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited

Post by JPG »

FWIW, the "E" had nothing to do with version a,b,c,d, but stood for "Experimental".

Maybe there were 9 preliminary versions. :D :rolleyes:

And the added "R" stood for "revised"(more than once!)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
User avatar
jsburger
Platinum Member
Posts: 5706
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:06 pm
Location: Hooper, UT

Re: Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:FWIW, the "E" had nothing to do with version a,b,c,d, but stood for "Experimental".

Maybe there were 9 preliminary versions. :D :rolleyes:

And the added "R" stood for "revised"(more than once!)

I agree that is the conventional wisdom. However, I know of no publication that states that. It sounds reasonable to me but I doubt if we will ever know if it is true. After all the people who knew, Hans and the Chambers brothers are gone.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
User avatar
everettdavis
Platinum Member
Posts: 2152
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:49 am
Location: Lubbock, TX

Re: Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited

Post by everettdavis »

I just added a cross-sectional view comparing a Mark V Headstock with a Mark 7 Headstock to the original post.

Everett
User avatar
everettdavis
Platinum Member
Posts: 2152
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:49 am
Location: Lubbock, TX

Re: Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited

Post by everettdavis »

Links to other posts with full size drawings of other assemblies I have modified and re-oriented were added as requested by others to the original post.

In the future I will keep this post updated with links to posts for new drawings to help keep comments and correction discussions in the posts relevant to the respective drawings.


Everett
User avatar
everettdavis
Platinum Member
Posts: 2152
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:49 am
Location: Lubbock, TX

Re: Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited

Post by everettdavis »

Added Shopsmith PowerPro Headstock Exploded Parts View link to original post
Post Reply