Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More

Post by everettdavis »

I snagged a photo of one from someone selling one to illustrate the crank

Everett
40E240F6-AC0E-4E12-B8DD-8E1633232797.jpeg
40E240F6-AC0E-4E12-B8DD-8E1633232797.jpeg (25.54 KiB) Viewed 31221 times
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

In trying to record and preserve historical events in the production of Shopsmith Mark 5 and Mark V I was going through some older documents and came across Bulletin 513046 in my files dated 10/72.

That was just after Bob Folkerth acquired Shopsmith and formed Shopsmith Inc. There was a tidbit of information that isolated changes in the Mark 5 / Mark 5 that had some serial number references to them.

I realize that Shopsmith has a publication titled "Replacement of the Poly V or Gilmer Belt 521691 / 521683 but the attached has serial number references to production not contained in it.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/pro ... cement.pdf

See the attached 1972 Document on Changing a Gilmer Belt

The Idler Shaft in the Eccentric Bushing was stated to be positioned to protrude 1 1/16" from the Headstock Casting.

On Mark 5 above Serial Number 267305 one was instructed to tighten the setscrew in the Eccentric Bushing so that it would seat in the groove around Jointer Drive Shaft Bearing

Notice was given that if Serial Number was above 298476, these units would no longer have the two bearing keepers and would be equipped with a screw and washer which positions (retains) the Eccentric Bushing.

I am working to flesh out all the documents that have specific production changes in the Mark 5 / Mark V lines into a single document and reference the bulletins etc. where the data came from. It is a slow process.

Everett
1972 How to Change a Gilmer Belt.pdf
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 2441 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

'Early' planer manual scans coming(if I can get the scanner to cooperate).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

JPG wrote:'Early' planer manual scans coming(if I can get the scanner to cooperate).
I look forward to it.

Everett
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

JPG wrote:'Early' planer manual scans coming(if I can get the scanner to cooperate).
Thank you James!

I will start working on restoring it and try to get it published this month

I really appreciate your work getting it scanned!

Everett
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

New Folder in My Google Drive titled 3" Caster Upgrade - Full Size (over sized) Helpful photos with embedded link to a thread in forum.

See https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 90#p185690

There is a copy of the manual for the Revision D version of the paper templates in the folder - yes that indicates there were three versions prior to it and that is likely where some of the confusion that surrounds the caster upgrade exists.

The Drill Bit and Metal Guide Installation Kit is for those not comfortable locating new holes using the paper template.

The metal guide uses a pin to locate in one of the existing mounting holes, then bolts solidly into place through the remaining existing mounting hole.

You're supposed to then drill the two new holes where you need them. The kit includes the correctly sized drill bit. Use a center punch Not Supplied to center the bit and prevent any possible drill bit drift.

Everett
Helpful Photos.png
Helpful Photos.png (162.84 KiB) Viewed 30669 times
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Finally finished it .... Fully Restored Planer Manual titled Shopsmith Planer Manual PL-5002 Oct 82 - 11 x 17 Format.PDF in folder titled "Planers (All 3)"

Follow My Google Drive link at https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 90#p185690

JPG was gracious to scan his original manual and I am most thankful to him for sharing it with me.

It took a while to enhance and restore, and has an Addendum written my me that has some very helpful links to posts, and to some videos that I think anyone with a Shopsmith Planer or any brand Desktop 12" Planer should view.

Kindest Regards everyone,

Everett
Shopsmith Planer Manual Restored .png
Shopsmith Planer Manual Restored .png (674.35 KiB) Viewed 30285 times
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Based on a discussion in Community forum regarding missing Shopsmith Mark V serial numbers, a side discussion about the Mark VII came up.

Rather than following up there further, I located and posted the document Mark VII Introduction Article Popular Science November 1963.pdf in folder titled \Mark VII -1960's vintage\

This states that Shopsmith introduced the Mark VII in the fall of 1963.

JPG indicated he bought his from Montgomery Ward in the Spring of 1963 and it came in after a couple of weeks.

It was made for Montgomery Ward, but is is unclear if the November 1963 article was written as Shopsmith introduced it through their sales distribution network at that time.

If you are interested in the Mark VII model, check it out.

Everett
Popular Science Mark VII cover.jpg
Popular Science Mark VII cover.jpg (232.38 KiB) Viewed 28222 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

everettdavis wrote:Based on a discussion in Community forum regarding missing Shopsmith Mark V serial numbers, a side discussion about the Mark VII came up.

Rather than following up there further, I located and posted the document Mark VII Introduction Article Popular Science November 1963.pdf in folder titled \Mark VII -1960's vintage\

This states that Shopsmith introduced the Mark VII in the fall of 1963.

JPG indicated he bought his from Montgomery Ward in the Spring of 1963 and it came in after a couple of weeks.

It was made for Montgomery Ward, but is is unclear if the November 1963 article was written as Shopsmith introduced it through their sales distribution network at that time.

If you are interested in the Mark VII model, check it out.

Everett
Popular Science Mark VII cover.jpg
That was my M5 Goldie. My MVII was purchased used a few years ago(without a vent plate/SN).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I stand corrected it was not your Mark VII

Everett