Accessory Table problem

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

donalexander
Gold Member

Accessory Table problem

Post by donalexander »

I've got a SS model 510 purchased used that I upgraded to a 520 - if it matters.

The problem is the extension table got stuck the last time I used the machine. It would go down but not up. A friend with a SS indicated he had the same problem and identified the locking mechanism as the problem. Well, I'm not so lucky. I remove the locking mechanism entirely and the table was still stuck - but I saw the problem. The holes for mounting the extension table and lathe tailstock did not align correctly with the holes in the base casting that mounts to the bench tubes.

Usually figuring out the problem lends itself to a solution. I'd just realign the holes and tighten down whatever it was that was loose. Alas I don't see how to adjust the geometry of these parts. It appears their only connection is with a metal bar that allows the headstock and way tubes to rotate up into the drill press position.

I suppose my Dremel tool could grind out the offending metal and allow things to work smoothly but there has to be a better solution to getting the holes to align.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Don
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Re: Accessory Table problem

Post by ChrisNeilan »

If it were me (and has been),I'd unbolt the tubes from the extension table Once that is done you should be able to remove the tubes. Then clean and polish them, following up with a good waxing with Johnson's Paste wax. Reassemble and be amazed! I was....
donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

Chris,

Maybe I need to include a photo. I got the table out by tipping the other end of the SS up. For grins I reinserted the the table until the edge of the legs HIT the holes in the base casting that attaches to bench tubes.

I'm pretty sure no reasonable amount of paste wax and polishing is going to reduce the diameter of the tubes by about 1/16". And FWIW, I agree that wax helps a lot of sticking problems...this is an alignment issue.

If the problem isn't obvious as described I'll figure out how to post a photo.

Don
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

So I think I understand what you said but to be sure below is a picture. Keep in mind this is a double tilt but the principal is the same. The holes where the tubes are hitting are the ones I have the green arrows pointing to?
IMG_0145sc.jpg
IMG_0145sc.jpg (150.27 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

You've got it. The tubes of the table are hitting the outside edge of the lower holes - the one's your picture has the arrows pointing toward. In fact where the arrows touch the holes is the point of the problem.

Don
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Could you check the diameter of the holes? They should be about 1-1/2".

I assume you don't see anything bent or looking cocked off at an angle when it is just sitting there right?

When the table is mounted up high do the tubes look vertical?

Ed
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

My guess it the bench tubes/way tubes are not inserted the correct distance into the castings....
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

algale wrote:My guess it the bench tubes/way tubes are not inserted the correct distance into the castings....
That is my line of thought as well. You should be able to see this as it will have to have a pretty good angle to cause the parts to hit. Other then this I would have to go with a manufacturing issue but I would have thought that should have been seen a long time ago.

Ed
donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

The holes are 1.5" in diameter. And my recollection is this table has been stiffer than it should have been since I got the machine. Nothing looks catywompass or out of whack but clearly something has moved because in the past I could always raise and lower the table.

After measuring the holes, I laid the unit on it's side to see what I could tell about the bench tubes being inserted the correct amount. It's hard to say since I don't have a reference point for how much is enough and if my logic is right the way the table tubes are hitting, bench tubes would be inserted too far.

Tomorrow afternoon I'll take the head stock off (to lighten things up - just getting over neck surgery) and I'll see what I can do to adjust the bench tubes so the accessory table legs don't bind - and I'll let you know how well you did. My brain is telling me it won't fix the problem and my gut is telling me it has to be the fix - plus I know the level of knowledge on this board is first rate. Follow up tomorrow. Thanks!

Don
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I may be jumping to a conclusion here but if the hole for the hinge pin was to be drilled in the wrong position, that is to say too far forward or too far back in the casting then it would be possible for the down tubes from the accessory table to contact the lower casting.
Did you try to call customer service or "the Engineer" for a discussion?
Bill V