Accessory Table problem

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Accessory Table problem

Post by JPG »

How about checking the other end?

Is the tiebar etc. limiting the downward position of the way tubes etc.?

Are the bench tubes(both ends)inserted the proper amount in each end casting?

Are the bench and rail tubes parallel(equal spacing end to end).

The fact that raising the far end 'alleviated' the problem is a clue.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Since I still have my parts from before the upgrade I dug them out to illustrate what we think is happening. No promises but this seems to make the most sense.

I took some pictures so lets look at them. Here the tubes are more or less centered in holes and would be the normal condition.
IMG_0146sc.jpg
IMG_0146sc.jpg (76.95 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
If the tubes were hitting the back of the holes like this picture
IMG_0147sc.jpg
IMG_0147sc.jpg (69.86 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
you would expect the end to be leaning as shown here:
IMG_0148sc.jpg
IMG_0148sc.jpg (103.43 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
This is not the case so lets look at the other condition where the tubes are hitting the tubes like this:
IMG_0149sc.jpg
IMG_0149sc.jpg (84.17 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
When you then look at it the lean is not so oblivious but enough to cause the parts to not work correctly.
IMG_0150sc.jpg
IMG_0150sc.jpg (104.68 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
The root cause we think is that the tubes are not fully inserted and the "tipping" is the result of that.

I think the best course of action is to check all the leg bolts to make sure they are tight. For some reason my older machines always need a little tweak each year. If they are loose that can mask the other problem of the tubes be inserted incorrectly.

The next thing to do is to check all the tubes on both ends to make sure they are in as far as they should be. If we are right this will fix the problem. If not then we may have to put our thinking caps back on.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

While I have the end out for pictures I took a few of where the tubes go. In this vintage of machine, 1976 this is what it looked like. Other vintages might look different but they all serve the same purpose. You do have a very small amount of wiggle room but I'd say if you are a 1/4" short of inserted all the way you will have problems, even 1/8" is cutting it really close.

Here are a few pictures of the stops involved. The other end is basically the same thing. Also keep in mind the tubes sets are different lengths so if it has been apart by you or a previous owner who knows what might have been altered.

first and second picture are of the same part just another view.
IMG_0151sc.jpg
IMG_0151sc.jpg (97.99 KiB) Viewed 2358 times
IMG_0152sc.jpg
IMG_0152sc.jpg (82.09 KiB) Viewed 2358 times
IMG_0153sc.jpg
IMG_0153sc.jpg (92.42 KiB) Viewed 2358 times
Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Notice the 2nd and third pix.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 342#p41342

If the bench tubes are not seated fully, the hinge end legs will splay(inward) causing the problem.

Ed, you nailed it!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

Ed,

The fourth image (IMG_0148sc.jpg) is the one that shows the problem I have. I'm going into the shop to see what I can do to get the legs centered in the hole. My focus will be on adjusting the bench tubes....I wish I knew what the specs were for installing them. I'm guessing trial and error will reveal the answer!

I appreciate all the help.

Don
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Back up two posts. ;)

I think you only need to fix the hinge end.

Use an ext table on the other end and the main table near the center to support it upside down.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

Well, adjusting the bench tubes did the trick. I set the machine on its side on the floor, loosened the clamps on both ends and inserted the table to get the tubes centered in the lower holes, tightened everything up and then set the SS upright. In the upright position the tubes are no longer centered but they're not binding either. The table raises and lowers easily. Maybe at half time I'll work on centering it better.

Now on to problem #2 that raised it's head at the same time - but this one is a lot easier to sort out...I think.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Don

520 working
10 ER restored and sold (at a profit no less)
Model 500 bought new and sold.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

donalexander wrote:Well, adjusting the bench tubes did the trick. I set the machine on its side on the floor, loosened the clamps on both ends and inserted the table to get the tubes centered in the lower holes, tightened everything up and then set the SS upright. In the upright position the tubes are no longer centered but they're not binding either. The table raises and lowers easily. Maybe at half time I'll work on centering it better.

Now on to problem #2 that raised it's head at the same time - but this one is a lot easier to sort out...I think.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Don

520 working
10 ER restored and sold (at a profit no less)
Model 500 bought new and sold.
You might better have adjusted the tubes against the stops and then verified with the aux table. ;)

Centering is not the goal.

So what's #2? Spt clamp?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The tubes really need to be inserted to the stops on these machines. If you get the double tilt then you have some centering to do but that is not the case on the older machines.

I would also think that doing both ends is importation as it is likely that who ever put it together may have not done the other end correctly either.

Just saying it should be done right before you tackle other problems.

Ed
donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

I've inserted the bench tubes to the stops on both ends. I'll skip trying to center things if that isn't important.

Issue #2 is a belt that's apparently slipping. While I never had to change the belts on my first machine in 35 years, I don't know the history of this machine. It's less than 20 years old and appears to have been in storage about 19.5 of those years. I'm guessing the belts have dried out...or whatever happens to belts that are not used.

Don