Accessory Table problem

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Accessory Table problem

Post by JPG »

donalexander wrote:I've inserted the bench tubes to the stops on both ends. I'll skip trying to center things if that isn't important.

Issue #2 is a belt that's apparently slipping. While I never had to change the belts on my first machine in 35 years, I don't know the history of this machine. It's less than 20 years old and appears to have been in storage about 19.5 of those years. I'm guessing the belts have dried out...or whatever happens to belts that are not used.

Don
Get some belt conditioner. Use liberally.

Then if the problem persists, adjust the poly-v belt tension and/or get a new motor belt. Give the conditioner a shot first.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

I got some belt conditioner and used it liberally...though generally I'm a conservative soul.<g> It seemed to make things worse...much worse. So I figured I may not have been liberal enough and used some more and went through and lubed the sheeves. Then I reattached the belt cover, started the machine and ran on about G speed and went upstairs for lunch. Came back after lunch and the problem seemed to be fixed. I'll re-tension the poly-v belt this afternoon and put the unit back in shape....I've got a gift to make for Christmas...if the ShopSmith and I are up to it.

Thanks for the tip.

Don

Follow-up - I went down and checked everything out after letting the machine sit for a couple of hours and it seems that the belt conditioner worked. Now to work on building that gift.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Did you 'treat' the "V" part or the flat top of the belt?

I shoulda mentioned that. :o
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

JPG wrote:Did you 'treat' the "V" part or the flat top of the belt?

I shoulda mentioned that. :o
I treated both...it seemed more liberal. From what I read on the directions, I wasn't supposed to put more on than the belt could absorb. Thinking that the belt needed to absorb the conditioner, I figured putting it on both side would be best.

Don
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The 'top' was redundant. The rubber is the "V" part. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝