Stand alone Bandsaw

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Beave2012
Platinum Member

Stand alone Bandsaw

Post by Beave2012 »

So a while back I picked up a shopsmith jointer with stand for $100. It has the mounting stand and SS power switch, and works fine for my jointer, however I could really use a Stand alone bandsaw instead of a stand alone jointer. The motor is 1/2 hp @ 1725 rpm. Do you think it would work as a bandsaw? How do I get the right pulley sizes?
-Beave
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Stand alone Bandsaw

Post by wa2crk »

Beave
A well stocked farm supply store (Tractor Supply Co) or others similar should stock a wide variety of pullies. You would have to do a little bit of math in order to get the right combination of pullies for the job. As an example, if you put a 3" pully on the bandsaw and a 2" pully on the motor the ratio is .666. So if the speed of the motor is 1725 RPM the bandsaw speed would be about .6 of 1725 or about 1035 RPM which equates to roughly 3100 feet per minute for the blade speed. Personally I think that 3100 FPM is a bit high for the bandsaw so I would pick a different ratio to slow the blade down a bit.
I think that the 1/2 HP and 1725 RPM motors is standard on the power stands except for the planer.
Bill V

PS Look at page 22 of the online bandsaw manual for more info
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

wa2crk wrote:Beave
A well stocked farm supply store (Tractor Supply Co) or others similar should stock a wide variety of pullies. You would have to do a little bit of math in order to get the right combination of pullies for the job. As an example, if you put a 3" pully on the bandsaw and a 2" pully on the motor the ratio is .666. So if the speed of the motor is 1725 RPM the bandsaw speed would be about .6 of 1725 or about 1035 RPM which equates to roughly 3100 feet per minute for the blade speed. Personally I think that 3100 FPM is a bit high for the bandsaw so I would pick a different ratio to slow the blade down a bit.
I think that the 1/2 HP and 1725 RPM motors is standard on the power stands except for the planer.
Bill V

Thanks for the info. Looks like 700 to 1050 rpm is recommended speed for the bandsaw. So a 4" on the bandsaw and a 2" on the motor would get me to 862.5 rpm on the bandsaw. Sound right?
-Beave
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Beave2012 wrote:
wa2crk wrote:Beave
Bill V

Thanks for the info. Looks like 700 to 1050 rpm is recommended speed for the bandsaw. So a 4" on the bandsaw and a 2" on the motor would get me to 862.5 rpm on the bandsaw. Sound right?
"Sounds" correct to me. :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

Turns out the jointer uses a 4.5" pulley and a 2" pulley. I might be able to just swap the positions and bingo 766 rpm. Wow that's handy. Jointer and bandsaw have opposite pulley ratios.
-Beave
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Beave2012 wrote:Turns out the jointer uses a 4.5" pulley and a 2" pulley. I might be able to just swap the positions and bingo 766 rpm. Wow that's handy. Jointer and bandsaw have opposite pulley ratios.

And the shaft sizes?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Beave2012 wrote:So a while back I picked up a shopsmith jointer with stand for $100. It has the mounting stand and SS power switch, and works fine for my jointer, however I could really use a Stand alone bandsaw instead of a stand alone jointer. The motor is 1/2 hp @ 1725 rpm. Do you think it would work as a bandsaw? How do I get the right pulley sizes?
The motor is fine. That is what I have on my SS stand alone Band Saw. I believe the motor pulleys are all the same (JPG or Dusty will correct this if I am wrong). You just need to get the correct pulley fore the Band saw from the MS.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

JPG wrote:
Beave2012 wrote:Turns out the jointer uses a 4.5" pulley and a 2" pulley. I might be able to just swap the positions and bingo 766 rpm. Wow that's handy. Jointer and bandsaw have opposite pulley ratios.

And the shaft sizes?
Both are 15mm
-Beave
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Beave2012 wrote:
JPG wrote:

And the shaft sizes?
Both are 15mm

???????

Last I checked, the jointer shaft was 1/2" and the bandsaw shaft was 5/8".

Motor shaft?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

JPG wrote:
Beave2012 wrote:
JPG wrote:

And the shaft sizes?
Both are 15mm

???????

Last I checked, the jointer shaft was 1/2" and the bandsaw shaft was 5/8".

Motor shaft?
I used a caliper and bandsaw shaft was 15mm, the motor shafts was 15mm.

I did find the mounting base manual and the pulley ratios. You do indeed just swap pulley positions from jointer for the low end bandsaw, same part numbers too. I could use a 3" instead of a 2" as well for a faster band saw speed.

I do need a 40" v belt though. Are belts standard between manufactures? I hate to pay shipping for a belt
-Beave