Thin Wall EMT Way and Bench Tubes

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Thin Wall EMT Way and Bench Tubes

Post by tomsalwasser »

JPG has mentioned more than once that thin wall EMT pipe from the home center works well on a shorty or mini. I picked some up today. The HD guys did a nice job cutting it for me. I brought it home just now and indeed it is a great fit. JP, you also recommend a wood plug on the ends to avoid crushing. Just curious if you had a crush occur or are you just being thorough? I won't be mounting a headstock, but I will be using this extra frame for my lunch box planer.
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Re: Thin Wall EMT Way and Bench Tubes

Post by ERLover »

I wont speak for JPG, but I am guessing the way SS tubes mount into the leg frames, the thinness of thin wall, that is where it can be "crushed" and that is why he may have suggested/used the plugs. He is a late poster as a rule, I think he will confirm that or set me and you straight.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

Thanks ER. Here is what I bought: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Allied-Tube- ... /100400412

Here you can see it side by side: EMT/Bench/Way
Photo Jan 11, 6 43 13 PM.jpg
Photo Jan 11, 6 43 13 PM.jpg (463.78 KiB) Viewed 2103 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ERLover wrote:I wont speak for JPG, but I am guessing the way SS tubes mount into the leg frames, the thinness of thin wall, that is where it can be "crushed" and that is why he may have suggested/used the plugs. He is a late poster as a rule, I think he will confirm that or set me and you straight.

Late??? I do have another life after all! :D

Yes I was concerned re the clamps crushing so I first tried and did indeed observe deformation starting. So plugs were turned and inserted. FWIW this was on my 10' spt storage rack that is still looking for available real estate in de shop.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

tomsalwasser wrote:Thanks ER. Here is what I bought: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Allied-Tube- ... /100400412

Here you can see it side by side: EMT/Bench/Way
Photo Jan 11, 6 43 13 PM.jpg
I think the view angle makes the EMT look larger. I assume it is 1 1/2" EMT.

If so it is very close to 1 3/4" od.

Make sure the plugs are long enough to be under the entire clamp.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

I told you so, JPG got up from his after dinner nap, and even plugged, snug or just a bit more is okay, no gorillaing is needed.
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

Tom, I dont know the inside diam of the EMT, but check that out and maybe buy some oak dowel that is the same size, save the time of turning some.
Mike
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ERLover wrote:Tom, I dont know the inside diam of the EMT, but check that out and maybe buy some oak dowel that is the same size, save the time of turning some.
Mike

id 1.610"

OD 1.740"
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

Tom, I guess sleepy woke up, and a 1 5/8 dowel wont work, so start turning, but he is one of the many best here!!!! ;)
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

Ain't she cute? I quickly assembled it without the wooden plugs (yet). I was very careful about snugging the clamps. The EMT bench tubes are 26-3/4" and the way tubes are 26". I plan to mount the planer on this excellent SS rolling base, which became available after I mounted my drill press on the wall. I did not cut my SS tubes so can always go back.
Photo Jan 12, 5 48 07 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 12, 5 48 07 AM.jpg (552.75 KiB) Viewed 1998 times