Blades stuck together

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

putttn
Gold Member

Blades stuck together

Post by putttn »

Last year I purchased a Forrest 1/4-3/8 finger joint blade combo to use on my Incra IBox. Just finally getting around to putting it all together and for some reason I can’t separate the two blades. Got the wax off but since I’m new to all this with the double blade I must be doing something wrong??
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Blades stuck together

Post by JPG »

putttn wrote:Last year I purchased a Forrest 1/4-3/8 finger joint blade combo to use on my Incra IBox. Just finally getting around to putting it all together and for some reason I can’t separate the two blades. Got the wax off but since I’m new to all this with the double blade I must be doing something wrong??
Ya stored it fer a year and the anti-rust stuff turned to glue.

Careful prying.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

Hmmmmm. I've had them for 6 or 7 months. Can soaking them help? I'd think Forrest would have some instructions. Especially for us old rookies.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I would try to warm them up and slide them apart..... if you do pry be careful of where you do so, no where near the tips please.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

+1 on what Reible said. Also make sure the band aids are nearby. Don't ask how I know! Sharp they are!
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Have you tried to tap the side of the blades with a small ball pein hammer? Sometimes metal on metal taps will loosen the bind between the two.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

First, it I wouldn't think 6 months in storage would make a difference other than maybe the storage conditions. I agree with Ed, a 200* oven for 30 minutes to an hour should work. Maybe VERY gentile prying after the heat. I certainly would not tap on the blades. Forrest blades are very precisely flattened and I would not want to effect that.

Have you called Forrest?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Has anyone thought about calling Forrest Customer Service (1-800-733-7111) and asking them for "qualified advice"?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:Has anyone thought about calling Forrest Customer Service (1-800-733-7111) and asking them for "qualified advice"?
I think I just said that. :) :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

I did call Forrest and they were as perplexed as I am. They did suggest that I spray WD40 and keep it away from heat. One fella suggested putting in the freezer but it's been in my garage when the temp was below 32.