Building a Shorty

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Building a Shorty

Post by dusty »

Those appear to me to be Main Table Legs (probably left overs from a double tilt modification). This is real neat application for stabilizing the outer edge of the table while drilling (makes for a very stable drill press table).

I use those same legs with adjustable stop collars for all sorts of applications. One frequent use is to stabilize the table when table tilt lock seems unreliable or tilt angle needs to been "finely tuned" to a specific tilt angle.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

jjbuzard wrote:
jsburger wrote:
I cut 18" off to make my shorty. It works fine and I use it mostly as a sanding station. I used the left over 18" pieces of bench tubes to make my dedicated drill press.
Jsburger, what are the 2 verticle tubes in the picture of your dedicated drill press for, looks like a wooden dowel joining them at the top.
They support the front of the table. They eliminate all flex. You could sit on the table and it will not move.

They are the main table legs left over from a double tilt upgrade I did to my full size machine. They each have a 1/4" hole in the end that accepts a steel pin to attach them to the table. There is no way to raise both tubes and tighten the lock unless you have three hands. Hence the dowel. Raise both tubes up against the bottom of the table with one hand and tighten the lock with the other.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

jjbuzard wrote: Instead of the EMT Conduit I used the Plastic conduit, about half the price to mock it up.
Hey, that's slick! Is it strong enough to use for more than mockup purposes? I actually use EMT in a permanent setup and may try plastic based on your results. Of course neither is as strong as a real SS tube, but maybe strong enough depending on the application.
jjbuzard
Gold Member

Post by jjbuzard »

The plastic conduit tube may very well be strong enough for a shorty, especially if not using it for a lathe.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

While neither of them are considered shorties the old Mark VII and the 10-ER (I assume the 10 as well) only use 5' of floor space as opposed to 6' for the rest.
The 10-ER would be an easy cut down but just sitting here thinking about it the old Mark VII would be a bit of a trick if you didn't have welding skills. I guess though that you could use wood or steel and bolts to cut the base of one down in length.

I bought an old Mark VII just to have one just like I did the 10-ER and expect to keep them original but I was wondering if anyone has done anything "imaginative" with an old Mark VII?

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
Steamdragon
Gold Member

Post by Steamdragon »

robinson46176 wrote:While neither of them are considered shorties the old Mark VII and the 10-ER (I assume the 10 as well) only use 5' of floor space as opposed to 6' for the rest.
The 10-ER would be an easy cut down but just sitting here thinking about it the old Mark VII would be a bit of a trick if you didn't have welding skills. I guess though that you could use wood or steel and bolts to cut the base of one down in length.

I bought an old Mark VII just to have one just like I did the 10-ER and expect to keep them original but I was wondering if anyone has done anything "imaginative" with an old Mark VII?

You mean like this?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/tls/5611225680.html
jjbuzard
Gold Member

Post by jjbuzard »

Sorry I haven't posted some health issues kept me out of the shop for the last week or so, finally back at it, got the Shorty Bench Tubes back from powder coat, had these done in Chrome Powder, the pictures don't do the finish justice. They look amazing in person, hopefully will get the final Soda Blast done tomorrow and on to primer and paint.
Chrome Powder Coat.jpg
Chrome Powder Coat.jpg (726.69 KiB) Viewed 18525 times
Bench Tube in Chrome Powder Coat.
Shorty w chrome powder Bench Tubes.jpg
Shorty w chrome powder Bench Tubes.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 18525 times
jjbuzard
Gold Member

Post by jjbuzard »

Well the Shorty is done, the safety labels came today, that was the last thing I was waiting for. Now to put it on ebay.
Full view
Full view
Full on.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 18481 times
Back side
Back side
back side.jpg (795.27 KiB) Viewed 18481 times
Close up front
Close up front
Headstock closeup.jpg (926.33 KiB) Viewed 18481 times
Full front
Full front
full headstock.jpg (609.32 KiB) Viewed 18481 times
Chrome Pwder Coat Bench Tubes
Chrome Pwder Coat Bench Tubes
Chrome Powder Coat 2.jpg (956.03 KiB) Viewed 18481 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That really looks great! :cool:

Ya gonna confuse some folks with the table raising knob. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

What??? Ebay??? :eek: Use it yourself ;)
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)