Building a Shorty

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jjbuzard
Gold Member

Building a Shorty

Post by jjbuzard »

On to the next project. I picked up the remaining parts in Kansas City, MO this morning, to build a Shorty using left over parts from the last 2 projects. Still trying to come up with the final size of the bench and way tubes. Stay tuned.
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Building a Shorty

Post by reible »

I've been thinking about making one as well. I have left over end castings from my dual tilt upgrade, a headstock just sitting on the floor and some extra bits left from my 500 to 520 upgrade so if I got some legs and casters and tubes I'd have it.

Not sure I really need it but.......

The hard part would be deciding on what functions I'd like to retain if any from it being a normal 500 or if I should even being thinking about doing this as I have plenty of machines already.

Looking forward to hearing what length you decide on and perhaps why?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

jjbuzard wrote:On to the next project. I picked up the remaining parts in Kansas City, MO this morning, to build a Shorty using left over parts from the last 2 projects. Still trying to come up with the final size of the bench and way tubes. Stay tuned.
After playing with 28", 30", 32", 34" & 36" way tube lengths, I found the 34" way tubes allows all combinations of SPTs, attachment and accessories with reasonable working areas for each unit. I build around 24 SHORTYs (18" tube cutoffs) for customers over a 12 year period. All of these way tube lengths did allow a carriage and main table to be used. I recommend first determine what SPTs, attachment and accessories you want to power with the SHORTY. Then actually set up each of these combinations and see what free space (cutoff space) you would have left for each package. That was how I came up with the 18" cutoff without losing little efficiently for all the different combinations.
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

You can make a temporary shorty using inexpensive EMT conduit from Home Depot ala JPG. They will cut it to length for you. Put it together and try it out before you cut your good tubes.
jjbuzard
Gold Member

Post by jjbuzard »

I intend on keeping all functions, except the lathe, ok maybe keep bowl turning capabilities, I saw one set up I liked on LumberJocks and like Bill said, it was 34" way tubes, so I plan on starting there, Thanks for confirming my thoughts Bill. Still in Missouri til Sunday night, then I can get home and back to my shop, lots of Soda Blasting of Aluminum parts and Black Beauty Blast of steel parts. Once the bench tube length is determined, they will be Powder Coated. And I intend to use the new Shopsmith Gray, I just wish I could get it in quarts so I could spray it with a spray gun, better results. I might have to experiment with mixing my own on that. Need to order 50 pounds of soda from Harbor Freight, hard to believe they ship it for $6.00.
Last edited by jjbuzard on Sat May 14, 2016 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
jjbuzard
Gold Member

Post by jjbuzard »

tomsalwasser wrote:You can make a temporary shorty using inexpensive EMT conduit from Home Depot ala JPG. They will cut it to length for you. Put it together and try it out before you cut your good tubes.
Great idea, will do that. Will also alow for set up while Bench tubes are being powder coated.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

reible wrote:I've been thinking about making one as well. I have left over end castings from my dual tilt upgrade, a headstock just sitting on the floor and some extra bits left from my 500 to 520 upgrade so if I got some legs and casters and tubes I'd have it.

Not sure I really need it but.......

The hard part would be deciding on what functions I'd like to retain if any from it being a normal 500 or if I should even being thinking about doing this as I have plenty of machines already.

Looking forward to hearing what length you decide on and perhaps why?

Ed
I cut 16" off mine and some times wish I had cut 1" less off. As built, I can use all of the SPTs. My Shorty supports an in shop Belt Sander (Sanding Station) and Drill Press most of the time. However, whenever I need the 5in1 functionality somewhere other than at home, I load up the Shorty and go mobile.

I can't load the Shorty anymore so I have to solicit help. That usually comes from whoever needs the work done (one of the grand kids).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

jjbuzard wrote:Great idea, will do that. Will also alow for set up while Bench tubes are being powder coated.
That's a neat idea. I've never heard of powder coating bench tubes. Should look great. What else does it do for you?
jjbuzard
Gold Member

Post by jjbuzard »

tomsalwasser wrote:
jjbuzard wrote:Great idea, will do that. Will also alow for set up while Bench tubes are being powder coated.
That's a neat idea. I've never heard of powder coating bench tubes. Should look great. What else does it do for you?
Well it is more durable for starters and it looks great.Almost limitless color selection, you can also get in a gun metal look, or even in a chrome look. You could also get the whole thing powder coated if you wanted, Headstock and all, again more durable finish. See my post on restoring a Greenie, it has pictures of the bench tubes powder coated.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

jjbuzard wrote:I intend on keeping all functions, except the lathe, ok maybe keep bowl turning capabilities, I saw one set up I liked on LumberJocks and like Bill said, it was 34" way tubes, so I plan on starting there, Thanks for confirming my thoughts Bill. Still in Missouri til Sunday night, then I can get home and back to my shop, lots of Soda Blasting of Aluminum parts and Black Beauty Blast of steel parts. Once the bench tube length is determined, they will be Powder Coated. And I intend to use the new Shopsmith Gray, I just wish I could get it in quarts so I could spray it with a spray gun, better results. I might have to experiment with mixing my own on that. Need to order 50 pounds of soda from Harbour Freight, hard to believe they ship it for $6.00.
I cut 18" off to make my shorty. It works fine and I use it mostly as a sanding station. I used the left over 18" pieces of bench tubes to make my dedicated drill press.
Attachments
DSCF1168 (640x480).jpg
DSCF1168 (640x480).jpg (216.86 KiB) Viewed 22898 times
IMAG0236.jpg
IMAG0236.jpg (174.86 KiB) Viewed 22898 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT