Building a Shorty

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JimiDuke
Bronze Member

Re: Building a Shorty

Post by JimiDuke »

JPG wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:42 am Trunion mount is completely different.

UTR - M5/MV 500 incompatible???
My understanding is that the UTR might fit on the 500 waytubes but because its designed to work with a 510 or newer table it would require a table upgrade in order to work due to the differences discussed above.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JimiDuke wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:35 am My interest in this stems from wanting a universal tool rest that would stay mounted on my shopsmith next to the original 500 carriage and table. I've read the universal tool rest only works with a 510 or later table assembly however. I'd like to use an extra 500 table I have and convert it to a router table and be able to use the 500 fence I have to keep things simple when working. If it was possible to mount a 500 table on a 510 tilting assembly this should all work out nicely :)
Okay, in looking at the pics comparing a 500<->510, I really don't see why a UTR can't be mounted on a model 500 carriage. The thread linked below indicates that the UTR fits ALL Mark V models including the 500. It just sits on top of the carriage, with the table removed, so long as the height of the 500 carriage isn't taller than the 510 the bolts should work to secure it. Is there something I am missing here?

viewtopic.php?p=97184#p97184
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JimiDuke
Bronze Member

Post by JimiDuke »

[/quote]
Okay, in looking at the pics comparing a 500<->510, I really don't see why a UTR can't be mounted on a model 500 carriage. The thread linked below indicates that the UTR fits ALL Mark V models including the 500. It just sits on top of the carriage, with the table removed, so long as the height of the 500 carriage isn't taller than the 510 the bolts should work to secure it. Is there something I am missing here?

viewtopic.php?p=97184#p97184
[/quote]

Oh great find! I must have come across some uninformed info elsewhere when searching for info. I wonder if the circular base of the UTR could be left mounted to the 500 carriage and retain the ability to mount the table or if the space between the 500 table tubes would be too narrow or have a different clearance issue.

Would be real nice if it was as simple as bolting the UTR and still have the table move freely without removing the UTR. The UTR looks like it could make a nice base for a plunge router to press up against when mounted under the table. With one of those microadjust stop locks it could turn into a pretty sweet setup.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JimiDuke wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:59 pm Oh great find! I must have come across some uninformed info elsewhere when searching for info. I wonder if the circular base of the UTR could be left mounted to the 500 carriage and retain the ability to mount the table or if the space between the 500 table tubes would be too narrow or have a different clearance issue.

Would be real nice if it was as simple as bolting the UTR and still have the table move freely without removing the UTR. The UTR looks like it could make a nice base for a plunge router to press up against when mounted under the table. With one of those microadjust stop locks it could turn into a pretty sweet setup.
Yeah, I don't fully understand what you intend to do with it. I get that you want to have a 2nd carriage with the UTR on top sitting next to a primary carriage with table installed in it. Do you intend to use the UTR for lathe turning, but want the option of leaving the UTR "Mounting Plate" in place to sit under a plunge router kind of setup when not woodturning? Perhaps the exploded parts diagram below will help. As you can see there are just two bolts (item #4) to secure the UTR "mounting plate" to the carriage and the UTR "Support Base" easily removes with a Handle Assembly (Item #17). However, there will still be a carriage bolt (item #2) left in place that could be in the way of the router. IF you change the mounting setup away from that carriage bolt you may be able to figure out a different way to hold the Support Base that when removed leaves a flat surface on the Mounting Plate.
UTR_diagram_small.jpg
UTR_diagram_small.jpg (153.98 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I don't understand the relationship of the UTR and a Shorty. Are we talking about building a Shorty or something with two carriages with one supporting a UTR.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Dusty,

This is what JimiDuke asked below:
JimiDuke wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:35 am I've read the 510 carriage has the posts spaced further apart than the 500 so the table can't just slide in when mounted to the tilting assembly. Curious if the table can be unbolted from the tilting assembly and swapped between 500 and 510 making it possible to have a 500 table on a 510 tilting assembly and carriage.

My interest in this stems from wanting a universal tool rest that would stay mounted on my shopsmith next to the original 500 carriage and table. I've read the universal tool rest only works with a 510 or later table assembly however. I'd like to use an extra 500 table I have and convert it to a router table and be able to use the 500 fence I have to keep things simple when working. If it was possible to mount a 500 table on a 510 tilting assembly this should all work out nicely :)
📶RF Guy

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:53 pm I don't understand the relationship of the UTR and a Shorty. Are we talking about building a Shorty or something with two carriages with one supporting a UTR.
JimiDuke resurrected this nearly year old thread with a completely off topic question and it has taken off from there with nothing to do about a shorty.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JimiDuke
Bronze Member

Post by JimiDuke »

jsburger wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:03 pm
dusty wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:53 pm I don't understand the relationship of the UTR and a Shorty. Are we talking about building a Shorty or something with two carriages with one supporting a UTR.
JimiDuke resurrected this nearly year old thread with a completely off topic question and it has taken off from there with nothing to do about a shorty.
To be fair my question was directly related to the shorty that was posted. I was hoping to use some of what this project achieved in my own build and was curious how he went about doing certain things. Granted things seem to be headed in a broader direction as further questions get asked and answered. I had two accessory tables I had hoped to mount together to make a wide single table but when I went to do it, realized it wasn't going to work. I think the OP must have used some of the extra slim tables that came with the real old 500's.

I'm looking to build a shorty as well as I'm working out of a small 10x11 bedroom workshop. I need to retain at least a 30" lathe capacity for turning flutes but could use the extra space gained from cutting it slightly shorter so that I have about a foot of room from the wall when in drill press mode. While I use primarily hand tools for most projects, a router table could be very handy especially for certain aspects of flute making. By adding a UTR to an additional carriage which could support a router table, it would allow me to have 2 tool rest mounts (the original and the UTR) that could support a long double posted tool rest that could go along the full length of the flutes I'm turning. I was hoping all I'd have to remove was the UTR support arm when using the router table and have the circular base plate press up agains the router but as was pointed out it doesn't look like it will work because the bolt that fastens the arm to the base will remain in the way.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JimiDuke wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:25 pm
jsburger wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:03 pm
To be fair my question was directly related to the shorty that was posted. I was hoping to use some of what this project achieved in my own build and was curious how he went about doing certain things. Granted things seem to be headed in a broader direction as further questions get asked and answered. I had two accessory tables I had hoped to mount together to make a wide single table but when I went to do it, realized it wasn't going to work. I think the OP must have used some of the extra slim tables that came with the real old 500's.

I'm looking to build a shorty as well as I'm working out of a small 10x11 bedroom workshop. I need to retain at least a 30" lathe capacity for turning flutes but could use the extra space gained from cutting it slightly shorter so that I have about a foot of room from the wall when in drill press mode. While I use primarily hand tools for most projects, a router table could be very handy especially for certain aspects of flute making. By adding a UTR to an additional carriage which could support a router table, it would allow me to have 2 tool rest mounts (the original and the UTR) that could support a long double posted tool rest that could go along the full length of the flutes I'm turning. I was hoping all I'd have to remove was the UTR support arm when using the router table and have the circular base plate press up agains the router but as was pointed out it doesn't look like it will work because the bolt that fastens the arm to the base will remain in the way.
I have not looked at my UTR in a while so someone please correct me if I am wrong. That carriage bolt is easily removable.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JimiDuke wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:25 pm I was hoping all I'd have to remove was the UTR support arm when using the router table and have the circular base plate press up agains the router but as was pointed out it doesn't look like it will work because the bolt that fastens the arm to the base will remain in the way.
That carriage bolt is easily removable, but you do have to take the Mounting Plate off the carriage to do so. I am sure you can come up with an alternative though, e.g. figure out a way to make a captive nut to put under the Mounting Plate (where the carriage bolt goes through). If you do this you could easily thread in/out a bolt from up top to attach the Support Base, so that when removed you have a flat surface for the router. Another option is to drill through the carriage, if you don't mind doing so. Then a longer carriage bolt could be inserted through carriage and Mounting Plate, which would be easy to remove to achieve the same effect.
📶RF Guy