Building a Shorty

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Building a Shorty

Post by jsburger »

ERLover wrote:What??? Ebay??? :eek: Use it yourself ;)
That is exactly what I think. BTW, that is a beautiful job.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jjbuzard
Gold Member

Post by jjbuzard »

JPG wrote:That really looks great! :cool:

Ya gonna confuse some folks with the table raising knob. :D
Why will I confuse people with the table raising Knob?
jjbuzard
Gold Member

Post by jjbuzard »

ERLover wrote:What??? Ebay??? :eek: Use it yourself ;)
That would be nice, but I really don't have the space, right now there are 3 Shopsmiths in my shop, a Power Pro 520 upgrade, this Shorty and the Shopsmith I redid back in 1990, that I took in trade for the Greenie Restoration, that is slated to become a Dedicated Drill Press for my brother, plus all the rest of my woodworking equipment, it is rather crowded right now and I have a cradle to build, so something has to go out side while I am working. Fine if it isn't raining, because then nothing goes outside.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jjbuzard wrote:

The knob is a 505/510/520 thingy and the rest is 500 parts.

The 'dual' extension table may confuse some also.

I fear it will not bring as much as it deserves.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jjbuzard
Gold Member

Post by jjbuzard »

JPG wrote:
jjbuzard wrote:

The knob is a 505/510/520 thingy and the rest is 500 parts.

The 'dual' extension table may confuse some also.

I fear it will not bring as much as it deserves.
That "knob" was put on back in the 1990's on my 500, The Headstock is actually a 1957 version,with poly v-belt conversion, new bearings as needed, with the 3/4 HP motor, which was rebuilt, new bearings etc, a new cord was installed, all aluminum polished and of course all soda/sand blasted and prime and paint, it was an exercise in using left over and purchased parts to complete.
jjbuzard
Gold Member

Post by jjbuzard »

Well we will see what it goes for it is listed as of today on ebay.

Shopsmith Shorty or Mini Total Build (232174519695)
jjbuzard
Gold Member

Post by jjbuzard »

After 3 listings and no serious offers, I am going to dismantle and sell it for parts. Probably get more for it in parts than I can get for it assembled. I saw one that was a Piece of crap and needed lots of work go for $500.00, who knows.
Full on.jpg
Full on.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 18006 times
alohacnc
Gold Member

Post by alohacnc »

Here's how I built one with an old ER-10 garage sale find. I threw out the tilt function because I already have a drill press. I will probably make another with a Mark 5 machine I have.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... nc#p215912
jjbuzard
Gold Member

Post by jjbuzard »

jjbuzard wrote:After 3 listings and no serious offers, I am going to dismantle and sell it for parts. Probably get more for it in parts than I can get for it assembled. I saw one that was a Piece of crap and needed lots of work go for $500.00, who knows.

Full on.jpg
I guess I was foolish building a Shorty to sell. Tearing it apart now for parts, need the room, do you think it might have sold better as a full size Shopsmith?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

My guess is that there was too much that differed from 'SOP' and that scared em off. You were trying to sell a small sub niche of a niche market.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange