Building a Shorty

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Building a Shorty

Post by dusty »

BigJim66 wrote:
jjbuzard wrote:On to the next project. I picked up the remaining parts in Kansas City, MO this morning, to build a Shorty using left over parts from the last 2 projects. Still trying to come up with the final size of the bench and way tubes. Stay tuned.
I'm new to this building a shorty, but is it possible that you could build me a shorty for me to put my extra Power Pro 7 on. I suppose I could by another used shopsmith but then I would need to know on how to cut it down to size, any help in that process would be helpful as well.
What do you believe you need to know to build a Shorty?

Determine just how much shorter you want the end result to be, disassemble your machine, cut the tubes the appropriate amount, put it back together and you have a shorty.

The Way tubes are not the same length as the Bench tubes but that doesn't change much. Just cut "the same amount" off all four tubes and you got it. The bench tubes (lower tubes) are 3/4" longer than the Way Tubes (upper tubes).

Pay attention!!!!! It will go back together wrong but you won't like the results!!!
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Are you really taking him seriously Dusty?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Yes I do. I try real hard to believe in people and what they say until they prove that I can not. Unfortunately.....,

It is the original OP of this thread (back in 2016) whom I doubt,
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JimiDuke
Bronze Member

Post by JimiDuke »

Hey just a couple questions about this build. Did the 500 table fit without modification on the 510 carriage? If not how did you get it to work?

Also, How did you make the double accessory table on the left of your machine?
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JimiDuke wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:08 pm Hey just a couple questions about this build. Did the 500 table fit without modification on the 510 carriage? If not how did you get it to work?

I don't think that the OP is still active on the forum. No, a 500 table will not fit into a 510 carriage without modification. In my estimation he just put the height adjustment wheel from the 510 on the 500 carriage. There are articles on that, IIRC there are one or two other parts involved, but it is simple and straightforward. I don't know how he doubled up the accessory table, my guess would be that it is bolted together. IIWM I'd just buy the wider table. I see them on ebay from time to time.

- David
KayBur
Silver Member

Post by KayBur »

DLB wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:06 am
JimiDuke wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:08 pm Hey just a couple questions about this build. Did the 500 table fit without modification on the 510 carriage? If not how did you get it to work?

I don't think that the OP is still active on the forum. No, a 500 table will not fit into a 510 carriage without modification. In my estimation he just put the height adjustment wheel from the 510 on the 500 carriage. There are articles on that, IIRC there are one or two other parts involved, but it is simple and straightforward. I don't know how he doubled up the accessory table, my guess would be that it is bolted together. IIWM I'd just buy the wider table. I see them on ebay from time to time.

- David
It is logical. These are two different device models. I didn't even have the idea of using parts of one device on another.
fhahnel
Silver Member

Post by fhahnel »

How do you remove the tubes from a 510?

What do you cut them with?
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

fhahnel wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:27 am How do you remove the tubes from a 510?

What do you cut them with?
Which 510 tubes, specifically? The bench tubes (lower horizontal large diameter tubes) are held in each end by clamp bars that are bolted into the castings. The way tubes that the Headrest slides on are held at each end by setscrews. The tie-bar end setscrews are on the bottom of the tie bar. The Base end setscrews can be either on the top (easy to find) or bottom (recessed in the casting, somewhat harder). I cut steel tubes like these with a grinding cutoff wheel, can be on a chop saw, circular saw, or angle grinder/cutoff. A hacksaw will work, as will a metal cutting blade in a recip saw or band saw. You should deburr the ends after you cut, I use an angle grinder or bench grinder, a file would work. I remove the tubes all the way to cut them, I suppose depending on what you cut with it might make sense to only remove one end.

Note - Bench and Way tubes are not the same length. If you are making a shorty or mini, the simple method is to remove the same amount from each tube. IIRC the bench tubes start off 3/4" longer and need to end up 3/4" longer. This is all assuming 'standard' base and headrest hardware.

- David
JimiDuke
Bronze Member

Post by JimiDuke »

I've read the 510 carriage has the posts spaced further apart than the 500 so the table can't just slide in when mounted to the tilting assembly. Curious if the table can be unbolted from the tilting assembly and swapped between 500 and 510 making it possible to have a 500 table on a 510 tilting assembly and carriage.

My interest in this stems from wanting a universal tool rest that would stay mounted on my shopsmith next to the original 500 carriage and table. I've read the universal tool rest only works with a 510 or later table assembly however. I'd like to use an extra 500 table I have and convert it to a router table and be able to use the 500 fence I have to keep things simple when working. If it was possible to mount a 500 table on a 510 tilting assembly this should all work out nicely :)

EDIT: Looks like it was just the table raising knob that was replaced after all
jjbuzard wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:09 am
JPG wrote:
jjbuzard wrote: Why will I confuse people with the table raising Knob?
The knob is a 505/510/520 thingy and the rest is 500 parts.

The 'dual' extension table may confuse some also.

I fear it will not bring as much as it deserves.
That "knob" was put on back in the 1990's on my 500, The Headstock is actually a 1957 version,with poly v-belt conversion, new bearings as needed, with the 3/4 HP motor, which was rebuilt, new bearings etc, a new cord was installed, all aluminum polished and of course all soda/sand blasted and prime and paint, it was an exercise in using left over and purchased parts to complete.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Trunion mount is completely different.

UTR - M5/MV 500 incompatible???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange