Building a Shorty

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Building a Shorty

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

jjbuzard wrote:
jjbuzard wrote:After 3 listings and no serious offers, I am going to dismantle and sell it for parts. Probably get more for it in parts than I can get for it assembled. I saw one that was a Piece of crap and needed lots of work go for $500.00, who knows.

Full on.jpg
I guess I was foolish building a Shorty to sell. Tearing it apart now for parts, need the room, do you think it might have sold better as a full size Shopsmith?
I looked at your listing earlier, and then forgot to respond here. I suspect that the main problem is that you had it listed as "for local pickup only". Might as well just put it on Craigslist, in that case. That limits you to to a very local market, and the true power of eBay is that it can hook you up with buyers almost anywhere.

I suspect that the machine will fetch more as parts anyway. Heck, I could use a set of shorty tubes myself, so that I don't have to butcher my 520 to fit it into my new shop layout. But if you're willing to break it down and part it out, it would be even easier to break it down and ship it as an entire machine. That's exactly how I acquired my 520 from an eBay seller. I've seen better deals since, on Craigslist, but those take a lot of patience.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:My guess is that there was too much that differed from 'SOP' and that scared em off. You were trying to sell a small sub niche of a niche market.
And Shipping?

BTW, it is a very nice looking machine!!!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jjbuzard
Gold Member

Post by jjbuzard »

The one that sold that needed lots of work was free local pick up, guess I live in the wrong part of the country, I offered delivery within 100 miles.
jjbuzard
Gold Member

Post by jjbuzard »

Well after advertising in local paper with not one call, I have listed it on Craigs List, Quad Cities area, maybe it will sell there. After this I will part it out, also listed Bandsaw, Belt sander, Jointer, Speed Increaser and Speed reducer.
jjbuzard
Gold Member

Post by jjbuzard »

Well I thought I had a buyer , too quick, agreed to price, said he would arrange transport, etc, but wanted my payPal information to send the money, I told him no Pay Pal says I am supposed to invoice you so it is covered under their Protection Plan, I invoiced him through Pay Pal, he said he wouldn't pay an invoice, I said pay the invoice or the deal is off, because PayPal said NOT to give him my account info, He refused so I said then you must be a Scammer as per PayPal.
jjbuzard
Gold Member

Post by jjbuzard »

Had another scammer this morning from a scam haven area code in Florida,"Give me you information for you PayPal , I pay you, No problem, OK", Replied, "No I will invoice you as PayPal says," Silence.
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

If your going to part it out. I want tubes, legs and casters. I have everything else.

I don't have any problem paying with paypal.
ljw345
Bronze Member

Post by ljw345 »

gotta say-that drill press idea is way cool!
jjbuzard
Gold Member

Post by jjbuzard »

Sorry about the delay in replying, out of the system for a bit, I think after several false starts I finally have a real buyer, if this one falls, I will give it another month as indoor woodworking season is upon us, if I don't have something by the end of Nov, I will contact you to see if you are still interested. I will part it out
BigJim66
Bronze Member

Post by BigJim66 »

jjbuzard wrote:On to the next project. I picked up the remaining parts in Kansas City, MO this morning, to build a Shorty using left over parts from the last 2 projects. Still trying to come up with the final size of the bench and way tubes. Stay tuned.
I'm new to this building a shorty, but is it possible that you could build me a shorty for me to put my extra Power Pro 7 on. I suppose I could by another used shopsmith but then I would need to know on how to cut it down to size, any help in that process would be helpful as well.