Help with faded warning label please

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

br549
Platinum Member

Help with faded warning label please

Post by br549 »

The label to the left of the power switch on my 1980 Mark V 500 has completely faded away, whereas the other two labels are still like new. Can anyone please tell me what it used to say, and possibly include a picture of what it used to look like? I will probably re-create with sticky back label material.
Attachments
PC031310.JPG
PC031310.JPG (270.59 KiB) Viewed 7489 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Help with faded warning label please

Post by dusty »

I'm not sure. It might be a speed chart. If it is, they are available from Shop Smith.
Warning Labels 002.jpg
Warning Labels 002.jpg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 7473 times
There have been a couple threads that discussed warning labels.

Here is the one you are looking for:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maint ... -s140.html

And also a PDF from the forum:
Attachments
Caution_Label.pdf
(12.93 KiB) Downloaded 542 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
br549
Platinum Member

Re: Help with faded CAUTION label please

Post by br549 »

I did spend some time searching before starting this thread, but I guess not enough. All of the labels I found with part numbers that are still offered don't include pictures, so wasn't sure what they looked like.

I remembered that Shopsmith had sent me a whole page of safety labels several years ago, mostly for SPTs that I didn't own, but I found those in hopes there would be an extra one that I now need, or a picture of what it said. While finding the old labels, also found my original exploded view diagram, and lo and behold the label in question had a part number: 501359, and it was called a CAUTION label, not a WARNING label.

Searching the forum for the term CAUTION label instead of WARNING label yielded many more results, including this topic:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maint ... -s120.html

It is a long thread (39 pages), most of the content from 2009, but near the end is what I believe to be basically the same text as what mine once said which has been re-created by a forum member tom k/mo in two versions. While this was determined to apparently be the label used on Greenie and Goldie machines, it does look very familiar as to what I remember was on my 1980 version Mark V 500. The text on these re-created labels is width justified; I think the text on my label was center justified, with each line being slightly different in width, with no additional kerning. Part number 501359 is apparently no longer available, and has been replaced by the label which Dusty photographed, and includes the gist of the caution verbiage along with the Lathe Turning Speed Chart.

If anyone with a machine from the same era as mine (1980) has a label that is still legible, I would be still interested in seeing it; otherwise, I'll probably go with one similar to what was included in the post from 2009.

Of course, I'm such a slow researcher and typist, that as I look at my preview, I see that Dusty has already found and posted the same thread!
Attachments
ShopSmith_Caution_Labels.pdf
(10.81 KiB) Downloaded 551 times
Last edited by br549 on Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am speculating, but I think yours was grey with possibly red or silver or white lettering.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ecom1
Gold Member

Post by ecom1 »

One of these days I'll figure out how to post pics on this site:).

I have a machine of that vintage, and in that location there is a sliver label with red letters cautioning not to turn the speed control without the machine running.
Ed

Shopsmith: 2 Mark V 510 (1988,1993), bandsaw, jointer, mounted planer, belt sander, scroll saw, strip sander, lathe duplicator, conical disc sander, biscuit joiner, free standing router table with Jointech IPM-1
Other stuff: Bosch glide mitre, Ridgid 13" planer, Rikon drill press, routers, drills, and other toys
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

ecom1 wrote:One of these days I'll figure out how to post pics on this site:)...
I copied this picture that JPG recently posted showing the steps involved. Steps 4 and 5 are optional. Keep picture under 2MB, and less than approx. 2000 pixels wide and less than about 1500 pixels high.
Attachments
How To Post a Pix.jpg
How To Post a Pix.jpg (66.17 KiB) Viewed 7415 times
ecom1
Gold Member

Post by ecom1 »

The last time I tried to post a pic and it did't work, I read something that said you cannot post a pic from your hard drive - you need to load it to an external site, and use the link to post. That's where I stopped.

If atheist' not correct, let me know - if it is, I'll get to it one day.
Ed

Shopsmith: 2 Mark V 510 (1988,1993), bandsaw, jointer, mounted planer, belt sander, scroll saw, strip sander, lathe duplicator, conical disc sander, biscuit joiner, free standing router table with Jointech IPM-1
Other stuff: Bosch glide mitre, Ridgid 13" planer, Rikon drill press, routers, drills, and other toys
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Here ya go! :)
Attachments
label.jpg
label.jpg (41.98 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

br549 wrote:
ecom1 wrote:One of these days I'll figure out how to post pics on this site:)...
I copied this picture that JPG recently posted showing the steps involved. Steps 4 and 5 are optional. Keep picture under 2MB, and less than approx. 2000 pixels wide and less than about 1500 pixels high.
The limits are 2050 pixel width and 1180 pixel wide.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ecom1 wrote:The last time I tried to post a pic and it did't work, I read something that said you cannot post a pic from your hard drive - you need to load it to an external site, and use the link to post. That's where I stopped.

If atheist' not correct, let me know - if it is, I'll get to it one day.

Pure and unadulterated BS! That is the only way I do it! It needs to be a jpeg(.jpg) file(as well as some other options).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝