Need new or replacement for Fox SuperShop 2hp DC motor

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sammy
Silver Member

Need new or replacement for Fox SuperShop 2hp DC motor

Post by sammy »

I have a Fox SuperShop that I inherited from my Dad, and apparently the motor windings are shot. I've had the control board repaired and the motor bearings and all are good but i am having a hard time finding a replacement motor. Can anyone steer me in the right direction to purchase a new/used motor? I haven't been successful searching the web... I appreciate any help..
newportcycle
Gold Member

Re: Need new or replacement for Fox SuperShop 2hp DC motor

Post by newportcycle »

Do you have any additional motor data other than the 2hp DC you've referenced in your thread title? A replacement electric motor should be pretty simple to source.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

You need to determine the voltage and rpm of your motor. I had really good luck with replacing motors on metal lathes with motors from Surplus Center http://www.surpluscenter.com/. You may be able to use a cheaper treadmill motor as most are 90 VDC motors. You need the physical measurements of your motor plus the pulley size and type used on your motor. It will be depend on how much space you have around your current motor as to the replacement motor.
alohacnc
Gold Member

Post by alohacnc »

Need more info but even Harborfreight has 2hp compressor motors.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

alohacnc wrote:Need more info but even Harborfreight has 2hp compressor motors.
2HP DC? Harbor Freight? :eek:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
sammy
Silver Member

Post by sammy »

Apparently my first reply didn't post - here is the Info on motor: Permanent Magnet D.C. Motor; Model 5536-00; 2 hp; 2800 rpm; 20 amp; 90 volt; INT. Duty; 40 C; Motor measures 10" long (+ 7/16" mounting plate); 5" diameter; 3 level belt pulley - largest diameter pulley is 6.25"; 5/8" keyed and threaded shaft extending 3" from motor housing. I'm sorry it takes me so long to reply - have limited access to net. Thanks and Any help is appreciated.
sammy
Silver Member

Post by sammy »

Sorry I forgot some info - motor has 1.5"clearance on sides and approx. 3" clearance for length. thanks.
FREDD
Bronze Member

Post by FREDD »

if you still have this motor i am interested in the back housing for it
sspipeliner
Bronze Member

Post by sspipeliner »

This is rather off topic, but I recently purchased a smithy supershop and am now having an electrical problem. I saw an old posting of yours July 5,2015 responding to Flatlandersd concerning a SCR module. You said you had looked at a wiring diagram that you had. I do not have a wiring diagram and have not been able to locate one. Could you provide me a link or something to obtain one. Also you mentioned in the old post you might have a spare controller board. Thanking you in advance for your assistance.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I would certainly contact Skip Campbell at http://www.mkctools.com/

He retrofits DC motors to Shopsmith's and is quite an expert in adapting things.

Anything he would hook you up with would be likely more readily available components than the Fox SuperShop 2hp Original.

He might have some ideas, or know who would.

Good luck with your project. Consider taking pictures and creating a thread with what you ultimately do for others who will come later.

Everett