BILL MAYO INSTRUCTIONS

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

woodmeister
Gold Member

BILL MAYO INSTRUCTIONS

Post by woodmeister »

Some time ago Bill Mayo posted a tutorial on how to install a switch to reverse the SS head stock. Does anyone know how I could locate it?
Thanks,
Tom
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Re: BILL MAYO INSTRUCTIONS

Post by ERLover »

KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
UncleSnick
Gold Member

Post by UncleSnick »

I recently did a reverse job. JoshH took Bill's work and expanded on it. It was excellent.

See link: https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 97#p144297

Also, EverettDavis provided a schematic which, to me, was the only thing missing from the work of Bill Mayo and JoshH. The only thing I would add to Everett's schematic is that my motor has 2 sets of run windings.

See Link: http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 44#p221344

This should be everything you need. Feel free to post or PM me with any questions. - Nick
Last edited by UncleSnick on Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My shop is my time machine. I go there and lose all sense of time!
Greenie Serial 293128 March 1955
Greenie Serial 300735 August 1955 - Bad shape, future restoration project.
Grey Serial SS102778 Sept 1981 - Reversible shorty SPT driver.
Grey Serial SS168100 Feb 1984
Band saw Serial SS48432 Sept 1981
4" Jointer Serial SS91521 Nov 1985
Jigsaw Serial 33556 Jan 1984
UncleSnick
Gold Member

Post by UncleSnick »

Here are a few pictures of the switch location I selected. It is out of the way and not likely to get bumped inadvertently. The wire routing inside the head is clear of the quill and quadrant movements.
Attachments
Hole Layout and start
Hole Layout and start
IMG_5141.jpg (51.95 KiB) Viewed 7274 times
Switch is centered with the speed control
Switch is centered with the speed control
IMG_5142.jpg (87.36 KiB) Viewed 7274 times
Corner holes drilled.  I used protection to keep the grindings out of the speed control and to keep me from scratching the face of the head with the dremel.
Corner holes drilled. I used protection to keep the grindings out of the speed control and to keep me from scratching the face of the head with the dremel.
IMG_5145.jpg (42.48 KiB) Viewed 7274 times
Hole finished, wires pulled trough ready for switch.
Hole finished, wires pulled trough ready for switch.
IMG_5147.jpg (77.47 KiB) Viewed 7274 times
Finished switch install
Finished switch install
IMG_5149.jpg (50.55 KiB) Viewed 7274 times
My shop is my time machine. I go there and lose all sense of time!
Greenie Serial 293128 March 1955
Greenie Serial 300735 August 1955 - Bad shape, future restoration project.
Grey Serial SS102778 Sept 1981 - Reversible shorty SPT driver.
Grey Serial SS168100 Feb 1984
Band saw Serial SS48432 Sept 1981
4" Jointer Serial SS91521 Nov 1985
Jigsaw Serial 33556 Jan 1984
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

UncleSnick wrote:I recently did a reverse job. JoshH took Bill's work and expanded on it. It was excellent.

See link: https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 97#p144297

Also, EverettDavis provided a schematic which, to me, was the only thing missing from the work of Bill Mayo and JoshH. The only thing I would add to Everett's schematic is that my motor has 2 sets of run windings.

See Link: http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 44#p221344

This should be everything you need. Feel free to post or PM me with any questions. - Nick
The purpose of my post at the time was illustration opposed to schematic representation. As it stated in the post "Here is a graphic that may help visualize them in a manner that is helpful for most"

There are two run windings as you have noted. JPG also noted it as well in his response in my post. Here is a revised graphic accordingly.
Circuit to Motor with 2 Run Windings.png
Circuit to Motor with 2 Run Windings.png (54.81 KiB) Viewed 7167 times
I am very pleased that you are finding it helpful. For the Mark VII family, I recently took yet a different approach in documenting the Motor wiring, again opposed to a schematic per se.

I will post one of those below, and will if folks here desire me to, document other motors in the same manner from a wiring diagram point of view in coming months.

Bill Mayo and JoshH indeed truly did an excellent job in defining and documenting how to reverse the motor, which I have yet to address.

I know that all of us have Bill Mayo and his wife Ann in our thoughts and prayers at this time. Bill is a great man, noble, honorable, generous, and thoughtful.

Again, this is posted for the style of document I might prepare for other models. This is but one of the three types of motors in the Mark VII. I created and added a schematic representation of the external motor start relay within the relay body for helping folks understand the relay circuit. I will do one for the Mark 5 and Mark V motors if it will help folks.

Everett
501210.png
501210.png (239.37 KiB) Viewed 7175 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Schematic drawings and wiring diagrams are both valid aids with differing intent. The schematic is for understanding, the wiring is for (re)assembly.

Rarely do they cross purpose each other.

Do proceed Everett.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

I found something strange with the six or so MK VII motors I rebuilt. I found that one run winding (3-4 ohms) was connected in parallel to the start winding (6-8 ohms) and the other run winding (3-4 ohms) was used for the start circuit. During the rebuild, I connected the run windings in parallel and used the start winding to start the motor without an problems. The motors operated OK with either of the above connections. I used a 2 switch setup to replace the MK VII push button switch. Has anyone else measured the run and start windings on any MK VII motors to see if I maybe I got some miswired motors. I never measured the different in output power between the 2 different wired motors.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

billmayo wrote:I found something strange with the six or so MK VII motors I rebuilt. I found that one run winding (3-4 ohms) was connected in parallel to the start winding (6-8 ohms) and the other run winding (3-4 ohms) was used for the start circuit. During the rebuild, I connected the run windings in parallel and used the start winding to start the motor without an problems. The motors operated OK with either of the above connections. I used a 2 switch setup to replace the MK VII push button switch. Has anyone else measured the run and start windings on any MK VII motors to see if I maybe I got some miswired motors. I never measured the different in output power between the 2 different wired motors.
Was the windings wire size different as is typical? If so I say miswired.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange