Help Needed on obtaining drive bearings for a 1954 Greenie

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Glumma
Bronze Member

Help Needed on obtaining drive bearings for a 1954 Greenie

Post by Glumma »

Hello All,

Yesterday I was given a 1954 Greenie ( S/N 282696 ).

The motor stalled and popped breaker when attempting to start.

I became confident that i could trouble shoot and repair it by looking at you tube videos ( thanks Jacob Anderson!) and read many posts on this forum.

Now I have the entire head stock apart and all appears in good order, even the belts. The culprit are the Gilmer Drive Sleeve Bearings ( Part 202100). I see many mentions of the PolyBelt conversion, however I am already $100 into this for replacement belts ( ordered before even taking apart) and do not want to invest in the poly conversion just yet.

Can any one recommend a good place to purchase just the bearings?

If i missed a previous post on this topic i apologize in advance.

Thank you very much.

Newbee to a Greenie
Glumma
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Help Needed on obtaining drive bearings for a 1954 Greenie

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

I use a higher quality bearing (ABEC3). http://www.ebay.com/itm/390251206226?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Use Bill's recommendation, Not much difference in $.

BTW you do have a bearing puller/press?

P.S. They are cheaper on their web site.
Last edited by JPG on Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Always use the best bearings available. Cheap bearings are not a bargain. Even the best quality bearings from the likes of Timken/Fafnir are not that expensive IMHO. Replace them once and never have to do it again.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

jsburger wrote:Always use the best bearings available. Cheap bearings are not a bargain. Even the best quality bearings from the likes of Timken/Fafnir are not that expensive IMHO. Replace them once and never have to do it again.
I totally agree. I found a higher quality bearing ABEC3 is only about twice the cost of the ABEC1 (motor grade) bearings. I always tried to use ABEC3 or higher grade bearings for all my repairs and rebuilding services. Most ABEC3 bearings are rated for 25,000 RPM while most ABEC1 bearings are rated in the 12,000 to 15,000 RPM range..
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Bearings on older machinery are very standard. Whenever I need some, I go to my local bearing shop and get new ones from them. They usually have all the standard sizes in stock on the shelves. Unless you live in some kind of third world country, you should be able to buy new ones near your house.
sjroark
Gold Member

Post by sjroark »

I am going to look at a working 1956 Greenie this weekend to possibly purchase. I would be interested in your experience as you tore down the headstock to ensure everything was in working condition. I am leaning to rebuilding with new parts but that is just a thought right now. Once you get in the middle of something he situation will always change.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

sjroark wrote:I am going to look at a working 1956 Greenie this weekend to possibly purchase. I would be interested in your experience as you tore down the headstock to ensure everything was in working condition. I am leaning to rebuilding with new parts but that is just a thought right now. Once you get in the middle of something he situation will always change.
This thread by mickyd , Restoration Progress On My 1955 Greenie, will walk you through the restoration process.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
sjroark
Gold Member

Post by sjroark »

Thanks i saw that pic of the Greenie in another thread awesome work!