quill shaft

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: quill shaft

Post by JPG »

ERLover wrote:Does anyone know by or serial # when they went to the 2 bearing quill?
some history.jpg
some history.jpg (102.66 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

ERLover wrote:Does anyone know by or serial # when they went to the 2 bearing quill?
Look here...

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/toolhistory.htm

From that page...

" 1984 -- Two Bearing Quill

In October of 1984 (starting with serial number 190000), Shopsmith upgraded the drive system to the 2-Bearing Quill. Older Poly-V Drive System Mark Vs can be Upgraded to the Two-Bearing Quill for greater stability with less runout and wobble. A Mark V information packet, including copies of parts lists, owners manuals and more, can be ordered Here."
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Hobbyman2 wrote:i realize removing the quill isn't a major job,,,, that being said is there any way to tell if it is a double bearing quill with out removing it?

Hobbyman2
There is: http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... enance.htm
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Shopsmith offered the 2 bearing quill starting in 1985 with serial #190,000. I find the latest 2 bearing quill from Shopsmith is the only one that I recommend for bowl and lathe work.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

billmayo wrote:Shopsmith offered the 2 bearing quill starting in 1985 with serial #190,000. I find the latest 2 bearing quill from Shopsmith is the only one that I recommend for bowl and lathe work.
What about the 10ER quills, Bill?
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Thanks

I removed my quill tonight and cleaned it up , it seems I have a one bearing quill ,,by the serial # it appears the headstock was made some time in 1983

I think the next upgrade will be change over to the 2 bearing unit.

Hobbyman2
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)