Sort of a gloat on a 510

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mr.d
Gold Member

Sort of a gloat on a 510

Post by mr.d »

Picked up a dirty dusty absolutely filthy March 1988 510 machine on the extra cheap yesterday. I've seen really bad rusted out barn kept machines before but this one was just sawdust baked on crud from head to toe inside and out. There was a grey scroll saw with it and that was really all I was really after. Anyway, after getting the headstock broke open and cleaned up, she was actually in excellent condition. Bearings good and belts in great condition and the speed dial is just as smooth as my other two machines. Purrs like a kitten. Not the greatest pics but the last one is the cleaned up one.

2004 Golden Anniversary 520, 1992 510 "Shorty" - Rebuilt November 2013, Pro Planer, SS Workbench Pro, PM 3520B, Ridgid R4511, Incra RT, Jet 16" BS, HF 6" Jointer, MLCS HRT, HF 12" Slider, Rockler RT, Grizzly & HF DC with Super Dust Deputy.
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Sort of a gloat on a 510

Post by dusty »

It really does not look all that bad. You need to get into one that has been heavy into an MDF project. MDF sawdust gets absolutely every where and if you do not blow it out immediatedly, it gets thick and sticky. Ceases to be dust and becomes crust.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mr.d
Gold Member

Re: Sort of a gloat on a 510

Post by mr.d »

That's why MDF is only allowed in my shop on 3rd Wednesday after a total lunar eclipse during a leap year. Gives me allergy reaction almost immediately.

Sure didn't look to good in the beginning but pleasantly surprise how good of condition everything (parts wise) turned out to be. Going to be a good runner.
2004 Golden Anniversary 520, 1992 510 "Shorty" - Rebuilt November 2013, Pro Planer, SS Workbench Pro, PM 3520B, Ridgid R4511, Incra RT, Jet 16" BS, HF 6" Jointer, MLCS HRT, HF 12" Slider, Rockler RT, Grizzly & HF DC with Super Dust Deputy.