Quill fell out

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Quill fell out

Post by JPG »

With proper tension you must force the quill out by pulling on the quill feed handle. i.e. the tension spring should prevent it dead falling.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:With proper tension you must force the quill out by pulling on the quill feed handle. i.e. the tension spring should prevent it dead falling.
I don't think so.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... enance.htm
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I do think so, however IF it is advanced to the point where the pinion gear no longer engages with the quill rack gear it no longer is under the influence of the return spring. That is why the anti-rotation groove is 'short'(provides stop).

However that is excessive positioning. Quite possible it would(was) done inadvertently not realizing that would happen. A distinct possibility with loose set screw and a newbie user.

So maybe that is what happened that started this thread.

Us jaded users tend to overlook that which is obvious to us and do not consider that newbies will do things we know better than to do.

Case in point two posts back(and further back). I was not considering that anyone would advance the quill to the point of disengaging from the pinion gear. A mistake(oversight) on my part!!! :o
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RxRick
Bronze Member

Post by RxRick »

3 year follow-up :D. I ended up buying another quill on eBay. Unit had sat upright for years as the previous owner only used it as a drill press. Maybe it was simply worn out.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Not sure WHAT 'wore out'????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝