Quill fell out

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Quill fell out

Post by wa2crk »

Don't agree. The depth stop should be set at max travel. 4". Freewheeling the depth stop may cause the set screw to bind in the
slot on the quill housing. I have always set mine to the max which limits the travel of the quill and prevents from over extending the quill housing
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wa2crk wrote:Don't agree. The depth stop should be set at max travel. 4". Freewheeling the depth stop may cause the set screw to bind in the
slot on the quill housing. I have always set mine to the max which limits the travel of the quill and prevents from over extending the quill housing
I agree that is good practice. :cool: However it requires a practitioner. I have never jammed the set screw in the slot. I consider that as part of it's function.

But then I typically DO NOT FORCE THINGS. ;)

If it don't move with 'normal' force, I find out why. :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Now I agree!!!
Bill
RxRick
Bronze Member

Post by RxRick »

Thanks for all your help. I used Jacob Anderson's YouTube video as a guide. Visual inspection didn't reveal any problems to me. My guess is the set screw either worked loose or I loosened it by mistake when I took the headstock apart to install new belts (I know better now). I filled the set screw Allen hole with putty to remind me to leave it alone. I also invested in a dead man switch in case something else unexpected happens.
Attachments
quill.jpg
quill.jpg (83.1 KiB) Viewed 5622 times
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I would still recommend locking the quill depth stop to the 4" maximum. Others disagree but it will give a positive stop at maximum extension if the screw works loose again. The screw is the correct one.
Bill V
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

wa2crk wrote:I would still recommend locking the quill depth stop to the 4" maximum. Others disagree but it will give a positive stop at maximum extension if the screw works loose again. The screw is the correct one.
Bill V
There is nothing wrong with doing that. However, if the return spring is properly engaged the quill should not just fall out with the set screw loose. It seems like in this case the spring is not engaged. The OP has not mentioned the spring.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RxRick
Bronze Member

Post by RxRick »

Sorry I left that detail out, the return spring was still engaged. Seems to be working fine now. Thanks again for your help.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

RxRick wrote:Sorry I left that detail out, the return spring was still engaged. Seems to be working fine now. Thanks again for your help.
I wonder if the tension is 'set' high enough.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Ok youse guys you're getting the old man confused!!! If the set screw is loose AND the depth stop is set to free wheel the quill can be extended past the 4" travel that is designed into the system. At this point the pinion shaft and the teeth on the quill housing will disengage and the quill may very well fall out of the headstock if the drilling job is in vertical position. This is basically what is done to remove the quill for servicing and the return spring is still under tension. Wrong? Right?
Bill V
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

wa2crk wrote:Ok youse guys you're getting the old man confused!!! If the set screw is loose AND the depth stop is set to free wheel the quill can be extended past the 4" travel that is designed into the system. At this point the pinion shaft and the teeth on the quill housing will disengage and the quill may very well fall out of the headstock if the drilling job is in vertical position. This is basically what is done to remove the quill for servicing and the return spring is still under tension. Wrong? Right?
Bill V
Of course you are right.

However, here is a quote from the original post.

"I was using it in the drill press position yesterday and the quill came crashing down onto the piece I was drilling."

That doesn't make me think that he extended too far. He never said how far it was extended. Nothing about the feed handle flying back or anything else. just that it simply fell out.

Assumptions and lack of information probably lead to the statements made.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT