Quill fell out

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RxRick
Bronze Member

Quill fell out

Post by RxRick »

I'm fairly new to ShopSmith, having just bought a '54 Greenie last fall. I was using it in the drill press position yesterday and the quill came crashing down onto the piece I was drilling. I ran over to the wall and unplugged it. The quill went back into the headstock easily, but I don't want to use it until I get an idea of the cause. I searched the forums but couldn't find an answer. Would someone please advise me on how to proceed with troubleshooting this problem. Thank you for your help.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Quill fell out

Post by JPG »

As for 'falling out', there is a small half dog set screw on the top of the headstock. The 'dog' part rides in a partial groove in the quill body. The set screw prevents the quill body from rotating, but the groove stops before the quill will move out of the bore. Take care to insure the groove is centered below the set screw hole. The groove walls may be scarred - clean that up with a small file.

Also the quill return spring should prevent it from falling at all. Fixing that can be an exercise it anger prevention so go take care of that set screw first.

If the set screw is missing, come back and we can post a picture of one.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RxRick
Bronze Member

Post by RxRick »

The set screw is there. I'll take a look see at the groove. Thank you so much for the tips.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RxRick wrote:I'm fairly new to ShopSmith, having just bought a '54 Greenie last fall. I was using it in the drill press position yesterday and the quill came crashing down onto the piece I was drilling. I ran over to the wall and unplugged it. The quill went back into the headstock easily, but I don't want to use it until I get an idea of the cause. I searched the forums but couldn't find an answer. Would someone please advise me on how to proceed with troubleshooting this problem. Thank you for your help.
Take the time to view this Sawdust Session and then I believe you will know how to resolve your problem.

You said the quill went back in easily. When you put it back, did you adjust the set screw on top of the headstock? Do you see a setscrew on top of the headstock?

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... enance.htm

Being a new member of the Shopsmith community, I suggest that you spent some time browsing through the "Sawdust Sessions" and "Video Shop Tips".

Welcome to the forum. I hope this helped.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Make sure the set screw is the correct one. It should be a dog point type. That is it should have a a round extension below the threaded area that will resemble a dowel. They can be obtained from SS or McMaster-Carr on the internet.
Bill V
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

wa2crk wrote:Make sure the set screw is the correct one. It should be a dog point type. That is it should have a a round extension below the threaded area that will resemble a dowel. They can be obtained from SS or McMaster-Carr on the internet.
Bill V
Bill check your PM I sent you a message.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

There may be two things wrong. Could be the set screw but also it could be the depth stop. If the set screw is not set correctly AND the depth stop does not limit the travel at 4" then the quill could drop out.
Bill V
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

There may be two things wrong. Could be the set screw but also it could be the depth stop. If the set screw is not set correctly AND the depth stop does not limit the travel at 4" then the quill could drop out.
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The depth stop should be 'free wheeling' unless specifically set.(serrated washers loose)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝